Author Topic: The Quillkeepers' Tavern  (Read 1054636 times)

Offline Chelc

Re: The Quillkeepers' Tavern
« Reply #2295 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:42 PM »
catching up, catching up...pushing daisies was SWEEEET. gossip girl is seriously not following the series...at all. Grey's is on tonight!!!
and no, the essay isn't for practice. We are working on the actual thing that will actually be sent to colleges w/ your application...I think I've decided on UWmadison, and the topics they require you to talk about are 1. "how your presence will enrich the campus" and 2. "additional information about yourself that makes you stand out from the crowd".

blah blah blah.

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #2296 on: October 04, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Ah, back from the land of editing...mailed the mss off finally, and realized upon getting home that there were some (admittedly minor) changes I wanted to make   :'(  However, I have decided to stop stressing, cause really now, what is the point.  So, throw me a KoolAid!  I have to spend the next week catching up with my severely neglected crit group and may just work on my WIP...I need a drink, and an aspirin, and a massage, and a nap, and a maid, and a nanny, and a...is anyone writing this down?  Seriously, someone get a pen  ;D

:wine:
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline audal

« Reply #2297 on: October 04, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »
1. "how your presence will enrich the campus"
2. "additional information about yourself that makes you stand out from the crowd".

1.  "I will open up an on-campus Kool-Aid stand..."

2.  "I wear funny hats that ensure people look at me when I walk by..."

This essay thing is gonna be so much fun!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2298 on: October 04, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
yay! those'll do perfect!
 :wink:

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #2299 on: October 04, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »
And Chelc is bound to get noticed with Aud helping.

Offline audal

« Reply #2300 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
Hey, if I could get my sorry grades into college AND grad school, I could no doubt get Loth's avatar into Dartmouth!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2301 on: October 04, 2007, 08:00:56 PM »
Well, today in English when we were talking about writing the essay, the teacher told us using big words isn't always what they're looking for, because they will know if you don't actually know what you're saying. But the thing is, I do know the meaning of big words!

Example--the final exam in Health last year was to pick a health related topic, write a paper, make a project, and present it. The teacher edited the rough drafts of our papers. When I got mine back she told me I had to rewrite the whole thing or she would give me a zero for plagerizing.
Her reasoning? "there's no way you could know what most of these words mean because I don't even know them." and I'm like excuse me?!? I got really angry and said that if she had even bothered to check up on my sources of information, it would be obvious I hadn't plagerized. What does she say to that? She didn't have to check because it was apparent enough that I copied everything. So then I was really angry and was complaining to my friends that I was not going to rewrite the entire paper and was not going to take being accused of plagerism. So thanks to my outspoken-ness, she realized I wasn't kidding in the end.

Besides, I barely even tried on that paper. If she thought that one was snazzy, she should see the papers I write for English!

woah! talk about BABBLING!

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #2302 on: October 04, 2007, 08:12:42 PM »
Someone get Joan a stiff drink - STAT!  The Rockies just hit a grand slam & the woman's possibly in pain!

Wait - did sports suddenly become a forbidden topic in the tavern?  My God - have we finally found a topic others hold in contempt?

Fine.  I guess I'll just cancel the Tavern's order for an air-hockey table!

oh, the woe, the woe!  i ran straight from the game to a writers' meeting, where I was sufficiently distracted from the woe, but now, at home....

oh the woe!  the woe!
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #2303 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
Babbling?  What's that?  Don't use such big words.  I don't understand.

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #2304 on: October 04, 2007, 08:33:48 PM »
p-giddy!  glad you're back in full
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline audal

« Reply #2305 on: October 04, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »

oh, the woe, the woe!  i ran straight from the game to a writers' meeting, where I was sufficiently distracted from the woe, but now, at home....

oh the woe!  the woe!

My condolences, hotshot.  Seems so cruel that in just 4 short days, you can goo from woo-hoo to woe.

Ultimately, I guess it just comes down to this - the Rockies are quite simply the hottest team in baseball right now.  They won 14 of 15 just to get into the dance, and no that they're here, they're playing on momentum.  They're too young to feel the pressure.

The Yankees are getting waxed right now.  Only Game 1, but still, makes me happy.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2306 on: October 04, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »
Babbling?  What's that?  Don't use such big words.  I don't understand.
exactly.

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #2307 on: October 04, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »
Ha!  I just got an email from an "agent" who said she wanted to be my agent and was looking forward to reading my mss and getting to know me, blah, blah, blah.  A few years ago that probably would have made my day, but I have, of course, since learned that real agents don't need to go trawling for us poor unpublished writers...pulled her up on PandE and yep, charges fees, is on the 20 worst list and everything  :clap:  I would really like to send her a nasty email (you know, get out all the frustrations on someone who doesn't matter) but the instinct to be nice to agents is too strong to do that even for someone like her (her being Michele Rooney in case anyone else ever comes across her)
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2308 on: October 04, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
ya know, JW doesn't visit much anymore.
I'm sad.
She was so much fun.
 :(

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #2309 on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
Really?  Where did she get your name?  She was on QT last week.  She created an account, then sent off a nice email to me saying that her agency should be listed.  After that she actually did an agent search and found out that she was already listed, but with a skull & crossbones.  She left in a huff.   :rof2:

Wait, Chelc slipped in a post about JW.  Now I must clarify, I'm talking about Michele Rooney here, not JW.