Author Topic: The Quillkeepers' Tavern  (Read 1054614 times)

Offline Chelc

Re: The Quillkeepers' Tavern
« Reply #2340 on: October 05, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »
My husband looks forward to sending your body to a taxidermist.

that is wrong on so many levels.

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #2341 on: October 05, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »
The Yankees are getting waxed right now.  Only Game 1, but still, makes me happy.

Aha! Look what happens when I'm away...O the humanity.

yeesh, Chelc..mourning me like I'm dead! I have a job, kids with Homework, crits to do and oh yeah..a negelected WIP. I really have to limit my time on here now, but I'm not going anywhere! You should be proud of me...Laurie Halse Anderson spoke at the conference I went to last weekend and I was truly inspired by her speech. She urged us to set our priorities straight and write, write, write, no matter what, so newly armed with the feedback I got from the conference, I have not been thinking about queries, partials or fulls just WORDS, WORDs and more words.

And I am pretty pleased with the results. I think I've managed to make my MC a bit more likable.

okay..TTFN..I'll check in later.

Offline Legionsynch

• This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.
« Reply #2342 on: October 05, 2007, 03:02:05 PM »
Everyone just misses you, that's all. :)
Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011

Offline audal

« Reply #2343 on: October 05, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »
Wait... don't I know that woman who just sauntered into the tavern?

Hmmm.  She looks familiar.  Like she's been here before once or twice.  But it's been so long now that I just...

Wait - JW??  ;D

Hey there!  Yeah, I piped up about Game 1.  But I'm keeping full trash-talk under wraps - still plenty more baseball to go.

I'm actually jealous that you're more focused on the WIP.  I figure I'll get that focus soon - but then again, I thought the same a couple weeks ago.

OH!  I have a question for all mothers.  That's right...

CALLING ALL MOTHERS!
When someone is not working b/c they're out on Maternity Leave, what does that mean as far as time goes?  At what point in a pregnancy does suc a leave begin?  And how long after the birth does it end?  I'm sure such numbers vary, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure if anyone has any common notions.  Thanks & karma to all helpful answers.

Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Legionsynch

• This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.
« Reply #2344 on: October 05, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Mind you, I'm not a mother, but I've worked with a few.

I'm guessing most places have paid and unpaid maternity leave, or something similar to that.  You get paid for a certain number of weeks, total, but there's a second number of maximum weeks you can take.  For the managers in my company, you get 6 weeks paid maternity leave.  My boss took the six, and cashed out two weeks of vacation too.

But I imagine it can start the minute your doctor says "no more work for you" and puts you on bedrest.  And it lasts until you run out of time, in which case someone contacts you, or you approach work about coming back.

Does that help any?
Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #2345 on: October 05, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #2346 on: October 05, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »
oh!  it just said 'calling al', right justified, on your original post

Offline audal

« Reply #2347 on: October 05, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
Thanks Lege (I'll abide by the user's preference)...

That does help - I was actually wondering if it extended into something like 4-6 months; 2-3 on each side of the pregnancy.  I have no clue.  I'd love to hear more figures - if anyone has 'em.

And Joan... Al?  I don't understand... :stupid:
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #2348 on: October 05, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
read the post above your last one...you'll see my explanation.

ALTHOUGH, you did remind me of one of my favorite paul simon tunes.  can i call YOU al?  you can call me betty if you want...

also, i'm dying trying to find where you posted your yankees comment...i have had the worst time navigating this site today and yesterday.  weird.

Offline audal

« Reply #2349 on: October 05, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »
Gotcha, Joan Betty!  And I think I put the Yankees comment in the Tavern - but who knows?  I do a lotta shotgun posting! 

OK, so, more maternity leave numbers?

Lotheus

« Reply #2350 on: October 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM »
This is by far the weirdest thing you've been obsessed with, Aud.  12 weeks, i believe, is standard, starting after the day the child is born.  I thought that was federal, but it could be state standard.  My youngest one is 6, so it's been a while.

Offline Emeraldsky

« Reply #2351 on: October 05, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »
I'd say 3 months- usually taken after birth--  unless the dr declares the pregnancy to be 'high risk'  :shrug: I suppose the better the company, the better the benefits of negotiation. Men have access to pregnancy leave too, else sexual discrimination. 

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #2352 on: October 05, 2007, 03:59:34 PM »
I don't know what the norm is since I own my own business and don't have anyone telling me what to do. (Only a building that's falling apart because while the cat's away...well you know the rest *sigh*) Anyway - the doctor wanted me to take the last two weeks of pregnancy off before I gave birth followed by six weeks after. I would love to take more, but I don't think I would have a business to come back to :'(
Hope that helps
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline audal

« Reply #2353 on: October 05, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »
Actually, Loth... That ranks in the top quadrant of my most normal obsessions. 

I just keep the others off-line.

Thanks EmSky & Senshi - appreciate the insight greatly.  I was truly clueless.

Karma for all answers thus far...

And Kool-Aid.

:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #2354 on: October 05, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
Hey aud, 6 weeks is the norm - I worked up until the week before I delivered and went back after 5 weeks (because unfortunately mine was unpaid, and I was a little bored) :-)  but I had to get a doctor's note saying it was okay for me to go back, but I'd also had a c-section so maybe that was why the dr note was necessary - anyhow  ;D from my experience and the women I've known, it usually starts after the birth and goes for 4 to 6 weeks.
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com