Author Topic: I'm self-publishing & other things.  (Read 11903 times)

Offline 24_Stars

• Patience and perserverance is key to success.
I'm self-publishing & other things.
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:32:55 AM »
For those of you who still remember, I kept on posting test queries for review a couple to a few years ago on here for Imitai. Anyway, I've been hoping to get the book published for people to read for so long that I decided to self-publish. I'll post more about it in the "Announcements" section in a few weeks or so.

Anyway, I thought you guys would be interested in some information regarding advertisements. I'm planning to have fliers posted at my school advertising the book and my author-related social media. One of the things I discovered while doing research may be of some value to those of you who may be planning to post fliers.

It's kind of technical, but this day in age a number of us have smartphones. For those of you who don't know, there are these codes called QR codes (the square shaped ones with all the squares in random sequences). Getting them for your book is usually free and relatively easy. You will need a QR scanner app downloaded and installed to make sure things go smoothly.

1. Copy the url of where your book is being sold online.
2. Google "QR code generator".
3. Determine a site you'd like to work with. I prefer www.qrstuff.com as it suited me best.
4. Once you've found a generator site, check any necessary items. If there's a url textbox, paste your url there then click the butten.
5. A QR code linking to your product is now visible on the screen. You can test it by opening the QR scanner app on your phone and following any necessary instructions such as a "scan" button. The camera should activate, and when it does be sure to hover the lense at a distance where the code is fully in view.
6. Wait a few seconds or until a URL pops up. It should lead to the exact one you pasted.

QR codes would go great on fliers, business cards, et cetera.

Before I go, I have a second thing to bring up. For those of you working on designing your own book covers and/or setting up advertisements, I do know where to find some free fonts which you can possibly use. The name of the website is fontspace.com, but when searching for fonts, please go to "advanced settings" and filter for "commercial use friendly" fonts only. Some may be for personal use only (some of those looked good too), which may get you into some trouble, so be careful with that. I'd try not to download any personal-use only fonts for safe practice if I were you.

Anyway, that's about it. Hope this helps anyone with their advertising endeavors.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:17:05 PM by 24_Stars »

Offline moonstone

Re: I'm self-publishing & other things.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »
Congrats and good luck with your book! Thanks for sharing the tips.

Offline 24_Stars

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
Thank you moonstone, and you're very welcome!

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
Congrats and good luck. :clap:

You mention that you're a student. That means you can get Adobe InDesign for a steep discount. That's how I did it. I used ID to format all my ebooks in ePub, Mobi and Pdf. It's what the pros use. You can also use ID to format print books. It's well worth it.

And thanks for the info about QRs. You might also want to look into designing your own website using Adobe Dreamweaver. Again, as a student you can get it at a discount. (No I don't own stock in Adobe, I just think they make great products.)

You can sell ebooks on Amazon and also from your website. I use PayPal to process the sales and e-Junkie for the downloads. Check out one of my sites to see what I mean: http://twilightofstarshollow.com/
If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Forgot to mention: If you buy a piece of software then you have to learn how to use it. There are lots of tutorials out there but the costs can mount. :$: You might be able to find some free online lessons, though.

Again, go for it,
JP   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:25:52 AM by JohnPansini »

Offline 24_Stars

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
Thank you John!  :)  :up:

I'm not sure if my school's bookstore sells InDesign, but right now I'm using an older version of Adobe. Photoshop Elements 11 I believe.

You're welcome about the QRs. I'm not familiar with Dreamweaver but I will check it out. Yes. Tutorials can be pricey, but yes I am aware of some hidden lessons via online. Especially on YouTube.

Thank you for the tips and good luck with your work!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
Is there anything Youtube can't teach us??  ;D
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website