Author Topic: Cover Critics  (Read 8354 times)

Offline gckatz

• Gwen C. Katz's website
Cover Critics
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
If you're self-publishing, it's a good idea to get some extra sets of eyes on your cover, especially if you designed it yourself. Cover Critics is a very good resource.

BlackRabbit

Re: Cover Critics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
Great site with very helpful advice for everyone. Thanks for the link!

Offline 24_Stars

• Patience and perserverance is key to success.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Thank you for the link.  :up:

farseer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
If you are self publishing then please DON'T design your own cover unless you have graphic skills.

A book's cover is your number one marketing tool and readers will base impulse decisions on whether they like it or not. You need to know what type of covers are selling in your genre and about typography. My two cents worth - go to a cover artist with a solid reputation who knows your genre. They are worth their weight in gold, I have so many reviews that start off "I've never read this genre before, but picked up this book because of the cover..."

Offline violet

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
Gawd, I'm sorry, but those covers are horrible and scream SP. But the link is useful if you're having doubts and want a second (or third) set of eyes.

I agree with Farseer. We also share a cover artist, which is why many of my reviews start the same way.  :yes:

Offline DownNineUpTen

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »

farseer

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »
What's SP?

Self published.

Just because you self publish doesn't mean you turn out a cheap, substandard product. Personally I think a reader shouldn't be able to tell the difference between my book and a big 5 published novel. That means having high production standards. The most glaring mistake self published authors make is trying to cut corners with their covers.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
Yes to all this. I had a CP who recently SPed his book and I made sure he went with someone I knew who does good covers.

I feel like (and I don't know because I don't SP, but I'm sure someone somewhere has crunched the numbers) that paying for a good cover is an expense that pays for itself pretty easily.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
If you're self-publishing, it's a good idea to get some extra sets of eyes on your cover, especially if you designed it yourself. Cover Critics is a very good resource.

Welp. You've destroyed my productivity for today.
It's like query shark for covers!

Also every time I see you comment on one of them I'm like "I KNOW her!"
Author Website

Offline Doggy Teng

• Lara Campbell McGehee, SF and Fantasy Author
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
Welp. You've destroyed my productivity for today.
It's like query shark for covers!

It is a lot like reading query critiques, isn't it? :)  (It's also kind of tempting to jump in and get involved with giving feedback!)

It's always surprised me how many people don't seem to be able to just look through a bunch a published books and readily get a sense of what a cover should and should not look like.  When there are so many examples to look at everywhere, such as right on your own bookshelf at home, it seems it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to make a good cover.  But maybe you just have to have an eye for it.

Offline violet

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:51:53 PM »
I feel like (and I don't know because I don't SP, but I'm sure someone somewhere has crunched the numbers) that paying for a good cover is an expense that pays for itself pretty easily.

Yes and no, I'd say. You can spend a lot, around $500.00++. Plus, you have other expenses, like editing and marketing. So making it back? Probably. But easily...it's hard to tell. Generally, we sell fewer books than a midlist trade author. However, unlike trade, our net/book is HUGE in comparison. Most make $.60-$.80/book. I make more, so it takes fewer sales for me to make money. And I love when I sell in Australia - my net is $5.00/book.   :)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
Go Australia!

Yeah I suppose it would be a hard thing to judge unless you have someone release a book with a crap cover and then re-release it with a good cover later and compare the sales. It wouldn't be perfectly clean data, but I suspect it would be the closest we'd get to finding out.
Author Website

Offline violet

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
Haha!! Yes, I do know a few people who have found better success changing covers, but I've never asked for data. Other than a great book, the cover on any book is key. I also know quite a few traditionally published authors who got their covers changed due to poor sales. So it happens across the board.

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
Oh definitely. I know a chick who forced her publisher to rebrand her entire trilogy before the third book came out (she had clout because of sales)
Author Website

Offline violet

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
Oh definitely. I know a chick who forced her publisher to rebrand her entire trilogy before the third book came out (she had clout because of sales)

Wow - good for her! Usually it's the publisher telling the author, not the other way around. I hope it helped her!