Author Topic: 1st timer  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Bernie

1st timer
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
Hello everyone.  Well I guess I am here to introduce myself to the world, intentionally. 
My name is Bernie I am a married mum with 3 grown up kids.  Well the younger two are 16 and 17 while my eldest is 21.  Saying that makes me feel so old!  I live in sunny Queensland Australia.
I am also legally blind and have my beautiful guide dog, Wendy.
After volunteering at a local school I got an idea for a book.
Well that idea eventually words on a screen and yet as I wrote the idea was gone and something else was in its place.   The more I wrote the more ideas came to me and the longer the book became.  I finally completed the MS last year with over 130,000 words.  I even had it professionally edited.
I had a co worker read the MS and then my sister in-law also recently read it and they enjoyed it.
But I have not received the same enthusiasm from agents.  Which of course happens.
I have sent query emails and snail mail off to agents here in Australia but so far either rejections or silence.
I love writing and I have loads of ideas from follow up novels.  But sometimes I wonder if I should write another one if the first one won't get picked up.  I have had some responses suggesting getting it Appraised.  But I am concerned about the extra amount of money to outlay.  I am on a pension and I only volunteer.  I also have concerns that they will want to completely re-arrange my story and I will lose the ideas I have for future novels.
I have never done any writing courses or anything along the lines.  I didn't even complete High School.  I just know that I loved growing my characters and getting so engrossed in writing that I would laugh or sit there in suspense at I wrote.  I don't want to lose that and I would love for others to feel it too.
So there you have it a not so intelligent, Australian, blind married mum of 3 and a dog.  If you have any pointers for the Website I would appreciate it as I hae never used it before.  Oh 1 question is it worth paying for premium?
Nice to meet you :)
Life is too short not to take chances

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Re: 1st timer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »
 :welcome:

Here's a link for people new to QT forums...if the link doesn't work for some reason, you can find the thread on page 8 in 'anything goes'.

https://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=17064.0

Oh, and yikes on the word count. I don't know the limits in Australia, but that count is too high for a first-time author with U.S. agents.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:04:20 PM by 007 fan »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline Bernie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:38:19 PM »
I understand the word count is quite high but I am not sure where to cut back without ruining future plans for more titles.  Ill have to take another look at it. Thanks

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
I understand the word count is quite high but I am not sure where to cut back without ruining future plans for more titles.  Ill have to take another look at it. Thanks

Cutting word count doesn't necessarily mean removing parts of your story. I've cut almost 100,000 words from my 211,568 word MS (manuscript) w/o removing anything I needed to tell the story. Most of that came from just tightening up my writing because I had repetition or was overly wordy.
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline Bernie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:37 AM »
I guess I am just worried. trying to get noticed is harder but the rejections are even harder they can really knock you down.  Oh well just keep at it and who knows what might happen.
Wow 211000 down 100,000.  That sounds like a lot of work but yet Im guessing very rewarding?
Great advice Thanks I really do appreciate it all

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:50 AM »
I guess I am just worried. trying to get noticed is harder but the rejections are even harder they can really knock you down.  Oh well just keep at it and who knows what might happen.
Wow 211000 down 100,000.  That sounds like a lot of work but yet Im guessing very rewarding?
Great advice Thanks I really do appreciate it all

i understand the rejections. When I first queried my novel, all I received were rejections. That was when my MS was too long for a first-timer. I made other mistakes too.

And yes, it was a lot of work to cut things down and fix other things not related to word count, and as for being very rewarding, we'll see when I query the same beast again after it's been completely tamed. Haha

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
Hello and welcome!  :)
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
Welcome to QT Bernie...   hopefully we can help you with the issues you are having selling this book.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi and welcome! 

I managed to cut down my 116,000 word manuscript to a more acceptable 104,000 word format.  As 007 fan noted, I did that by simply tightening up the writing and removing unnecessary, duplicative or otherwise superfluous language...and ended up with a better manuscript.

The best advise may be to let the manuscript rest for a couple of months - read some books, write something completely different, but don't look at your manuscript.  Once you approach it with somewhat "fresh" eyes, it will be easier to see what can be trimmed and what needs to stay.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
Hi!
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Bernie

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Wow what an awesome welcome.  Thank you all so much.
FlyingViking I have taken a break from my MS for a little while now although I have sent a few query letters off in that time.
I think it is safe to say that it is time to revisit in an attack mode :D
Again love the welcome and very much appreciate it

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
Hi and welcome!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes