QueryTracker Community
November 18, 2017, 02:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgot about this QT glitch regarding "Show new replies to your posts."  (Read 9854 times)
Munley
« on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »

Haven't been on here for some time. There is still a problem with getting  "no messages" after clicking on "Show new replies to your posts."

This seems to happen only after the first response in a new thread. 

If someone posts a query, for example, and my response is the very first response to it, and then there is one reply following my critique, I'll get "no messages" when I click on "Show new replies to your posts" even though there is one new reply after mine.

That happened today. I went back to re-read the query and my response to it and lo! the author had responded to my critique about 12 hours earlier.

I don't know if this glitch can be fixed, but members shouldn't assume their critique was overlooked if they get a "no messages" in response to that click. As I mentioned, this seems to happen only after the first response in a new thread. 
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »

yeah this happens on occasion with me too...   I think it has something to do with when you look at a post/leave a post, vs when the reply is placed.  I could be wrong, but I know I've had this happen on queries, first 5, and first chapter.

if you're not seeing replies don't just assume they aren't there people.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »

This is also happening, on occasion, when a reply is not the first reply in a new thread.

It's a good idea to check the thread itself when you get a "no messages" in response to checking for new replies to your posts.
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »

I never use "Show unread posts since last visit" or "Show new replies to your posts" from the top, instead clicking on "View the most recent posts on the forum" at the bottom to see what's happened since the last time I was here (when I have time to check out everything).

If there is a thread I want to follow, whether I've replied to it or not, I use "Notify" and it never fails me. I get an email notification, so I don't even have to be on QT to know there's been activity. The email I get has the content of the post(s), minus the color of font a person might have used. Those replies are in my email even if someone then later deletes his/her thread before I come back on QT.

Since you keep having problems, you might want to use that feature. "Notify" can be used to follow multiple threads, and if you want to stop the notifications, you can disable them either by going to the thread and hitting "Notify" again (a window will pop up and ask if you wish to disable the feature) or you can go to your profile/settings and manage/change the status of threads you've marked for getting a notification.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:07:30 PM by 007 fan » Logged

writer                                                                          Computer Basher
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:15:28 AM »

It isn't just that I keep having this problem. I've had people apologize to me for not acknowledging my critique of their work because they got a "no messages" response to clicking on "show new replies to your post" and they didn't realize for some time that somebody had commented on their query.

As long as clicking on that is an option, people will use it. And I think they should know that the "no messages" is usually reliable, but not always, and they should have a back-up strategy, such as the email notices you suggested, or checking their own writing-sample thread -- or some other thread their especially interested in -- directly.

While I don't always respond to everything posted after my comments on a general discussion thread, I always acknowledge someone's critique of my writing sample (query, first 5 pages, etc.,) within a day or so and thank them for the time they put into my work, even though I'm not ready to post revisions yet. I do like people to know their efforts in my behalf haven't been ignored, but the "no messages" can give that impression.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: