Author Topic: Sub Updates?  (Read 72669 times)

Offline Steph Campbell

Re: Sub Updates?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
@Falen, thank youuuu. It was the hardest work I've ever done, but I really wanted to take a 'go big or go home' approach to the revision, and when my friend read it, she said that at least when they read it (even if it's still not what they were looking for) they'll be able to say, "whoa. she's really good at revisions."  :emb:
I write YA (indie pubbed and for Simon & Schuster UK).
http://stephcampbell.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/stephcampbell_
Insta: @_steph_campbell
Rep'd by Jane Dystel of Dystel & Goderich

Offline bswb97

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »
Steph, I totally agree with Sarah -- at the absolute very least, you know you've got a new trick in your writer's toolbox and even such a daunting task can be overcome. Thanks for elaborating on your revision request and good luck to us both, hopefully it's just another step on our journey to getting signed.  ;D

Also for everyone, I heard back from my agent friend on the CNR question. She said it's usually about 25% do that, simply because they wind up getting overwhelmed (and it's up to the agent whether or not they ping for a follow up).

So for all of us that have 10 or so subs currently out, we should still hear back on the majority of them. Let's all hang in there and keep working on new stuff.

Offline Curious Author

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
Oh, fun! Cheering you and everyone else on. :cheer:

I've been on sub since September, but that's all I can say at the moment. I'm trying not to think about it and work on my new book to keep my mind off of things. :hmm:

Offline bswb97

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
I found a few good articles on this process and it makes the waiting somewhat better, especially hearing that "rejections usually come early" and the writer's crickets may mean that editors are in meetings fighting for the book.

http://www.agentquery.com/symposium_pitcheditors.aspx

http://betweenfactandfiction.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-to-expect-when-youre-submitting.html

There's a whole category of interviews and blog posts here:
http://writerwriterpantsonfire.blogspot.com/p/interview-series.html

You'll want to click on the curse word that starts with S (her creative acronym for submission hell)

Offline CoffeeAddict

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Ooh! Fun! May the force of the publishing world be with everyone!

1. When did you first go on sub?
   March 2015--long haul
2. How many editors are still reading?
3. Has your agent nudged or submitted to new editors?
    Yep
4. Do you have any nails left?
    Yes, fortunately
5. Do you have anything exciting in the works that you can't really talk about?
   Yep!

Offline bswb97

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
Had a good reminder for staying grounded today while talking with my agent. He just announced a deal for another writer on his roster, someone who'd only been on sub since January. But I noticed that the pub was a really small one, and I asked him what their sub strategy was.

He said that with her niche, you really couldn't cast a wide net. So it's good and bad -- good reputation with specific editors and faster reads with better chances but far fewer opportunities, particularly with Big 5 + imprints.

At the same time, I asked him whether we considering a few small presses that I'd recently interacted with. He said they were down the food chain for us, let's see what Big 5 + imprints say first.

So it was a healthy way to remember that even for fast deals, there may be other circumstances such as genre, niche, etc. for them. Let's stay patient and work on new material!

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
Ooh! Fun! May the force of the publishing world be with everyone!

1. When did you first go on sub?
   March 2015--long haul
2. How many editors are still reading?
3. Has your agent nudged or submitted to new editors?
    Yep
4. Do you have any nails left?
    Yes, fortunately
5. Do you have anything exciting in the works that you can't really talk about?
   Yep!

This was great to read--that you may have something going on after so long!

I've been feeling discouraged today. A lot of the editors that handle adult genre fiction crossover both fantasy and romance imprints. And because my work is romance and fantasy and adult, the selection has been more narrow. I'm still hopeful about the people who have it, but I didn't know going in that adult would have fewer sub opportunities within the Big 5 than YA. (And I usually write YA, go figure.) Still keeping my fingers crossed for some good news soon, though!

Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline bswb97

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
Hang in there Alythia! I know both you and I had that "I've run out of road" feeling right before we got our agents. Hopefully it doesn't get to that with subs, but it's definitely a good reminder that anything can happen at any moment.

My agent sent me a status update yesterday, so though it's not very exciting, I'll post it:

-Accepted and reviewing: 11
-Reviewing following R&R: 1
-Passed: 9

I know every agent operates a little differently but here are some nuggets worth passing along:

-Though he pings editors every month or so, he usually finds that they don't reveal "It's gone to a second read" or "It's being discussed in acquisitions." However, if the editor doesn't reject it within the first 2-3 weeks, that usually means that they're getting some form of second opinion.
-Reading queues are long but it IS their job to get through them, so a few months is reasonable for that first read. What happens after that, though, could require multiple people reading and providing input, which is where things bog down. The bigger the press (Big 5), the more layers to work through.
-That could also mean that an editor has read it and is in prep mode: letting it sit before a final re-read while also getting other readers to provide opinions that will help the editor prepare for the acquisitions meeting.
-He finds that most editors reply eventually, even if it's a looooooooong way out. It shouldn't be considered CNR for just 3-6 months of waiting.

FWIW I asked it we were at a stage where we should consider small-small presses or epresses yet. He said not yet, we've just scraped the surface of the more reputable small presses and are still waiting to hear back from major houses.

Those nuggets helped me feel a little better, particularly after my weekend BBQ interrogations (see my other thread :) ). And as usual, the best thing to do is Keep Writing.

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
Hang in there Alythia! I know both you and I had that "I've run out of road" feeling right before we got our agents. Hopefully it doesn't get to that with subs, but it's definitely a good reminder that anything can happen at any moment.

Ugh! YES! I hope that is definitely the case for us! Although you seem to be getting more traction than me... But thanks for the pep talk! I'm so happy with the next book I'm writing that it is keeping my mind off things for the most part.

Those nuggets helped me feel a little better, particularly after my weekend BBQ interrogations (see my other thread :) ). And as usual, the best thing to do is Keep Writing.

Oh, dear... I'm gonna have to check out your other thread! I totally get flustered when people ask 'so what do you write?' I don't know why--and I know it's not the intent--but I feel like it's always said a little condescendingly. Am I alone on that one? lol

www.alyconner.com

Offline sparklyunicorn

• world traveller, writer, recent college grad :)
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
This thread is so great and cheering everyone on!

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
This thread is so great and cheering everyone on!

Aw! Thanks!
www.alyconner.com

Offline bswb97

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
I have no updates. My agent is going on vacation for two weeks and we did a mutual "MOVE FASTER, PUBLISHING (shakes fist at sky)" before signing off.

But I wanted to remind everyone to keep your spirits up and keep writing. My next MS is moving into the final few weeks of revision before I send it off to my agent and it's helped me NOT think about subs all the time, just some of the time.

Good luck! Keep writing! Stay sane!

:up:

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
I have no updates. My agent is going on vacation for two weeks and we did a mutual "MOVE FASTER, PUBLISHING (shakes fist at sky)" before signing off.

But I wanted to remind everyone to keep your spirits up and keep writing. My next MS is moving into the final few weeks of revision before I send it off to my agent and it's helped me NOT think about subs all the time, just some of the time.

Good luck! Keep writing! Stay sane!

:up:

Aw!! Love it!! Yes! I'm finally getting to that point in my next story where I'm like, Oh! I'm kinda sorta almost done with the first draft. That always makes me feel accomplished. lol

Go Team Stay Sane!!
www.alyconner.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! SON OF A NUTCRACKER!! NOT FEELING SANE TODAY!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Okay, phew.  :emb2: That feels better. Carry on.
www.alyconner.com

Offline Missus Braidyhead

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! SON OF A NUTCRACKER!! NOT FEELING SANE TODAY!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Okay, phew.  :emb2: That feels better. Carry on.

Sometimes it is REALLY HARD to cope. Hang in there. You've got company in NotQuiteSane Land.  :jump: