QueryTracker Community
September 20, 2017, 05:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quesiton/poll for my Urban Fantasy  (Read 25274 times)
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« on: April 13, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »

Okay, so I said before I'm toying with the name, and I'm glad I haven't stuck with a single notion so far, as the story changes things start to make more sense in other directions.

So far this is what I'm thinking for titles, which do you like (i'd love to do a poll but I can't seem to figure it out)

Sway (possibly Her Sway, or Meaghan's Sway)

The Demigod Elimination Agency

How to control Gods

For those who haven't seen anything on what I'm writing the blurb would read something like this: Mark works for an agency tasked with Controlling and Eliminating Demigods on earth before they become self aware and wreak havoc.  Everything is fine and by the numbers until he meets Meaghan,the most powerful Demigod he has come across so far, and is disavowed as "lost" by his agency and the agency's number one Eliminator, Johann, comes in pursuit of  the two of them.

Mark is forced to rely on the person he was originally sent to classify and possibly kill if he wants to stay alive, and survive long enough to find out who really is the bad guy.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
BlackRabbit

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

I like the simplicity of SWAY but in the context of your book, I think maybe SWAYED would work a bit better. HER SWAY sounds funny on the tongue; MEAGHAN'S SWAY sounds both like a romance and like "Meaghan's Way" (i.e. probably not the tone you're going for). 

I also like the title you've been running with: THE DEMIGOD ELIMINATION AGENCY. It has a little more humour in it, which would be good if that fits your writing style.

I really like your concept, btw! Sounds fun.
slightlysmall

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

I like the simplicity of SWAY but in the context of your book, I think maybe SWAYED would work a bit better. HER SWAY sounds funny on the tongue; MEAGHAN'S SWAY sounds both like a romance and like "Meaghan's Way" (i.e. probably not the tone you're going for). 

I also like the title you've been running with: THE DEMIGOD ELIMINATION AGENCY. It has a little more humour in it, which would be good if that fits your writing style.

I really like your concept, btw! Sounds fun.

So glad you said this, so all I have to type is

agree

Falthor

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

Is this going to end up being my "Snakes on a plane" title?

Missus Braidyhead

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »

Instead of "How to Control Gods," what about instead, "Controlling Gods"? It's ambiguous because in this case, controlling could be either a verb or an adjective. I don't know, I always like those kinds of titles that can be read more than one way.
Falthor

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »

I like

"Controlling Gods" that sounds good and has many undertones. 

I also like "Swayed" but I can hear my wife complaining (she has this thing with single word titles that I just don't get.)  This actually works on more than one level because of a complete stroyline/underpinning that I didn't put in my blurb.

I'm also open to suggestions.

McG

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »

Personally I like The Demigod Elimination Agency the best. I agree with BlackRabbit, in that it's quite humorous. Out of all the proposed titles, that's the one that would make me pick the book up off the shelf.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot
Falthor

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »

the only problem i have with it, is that it's not likely going to be funny at all.

it's direct, and to the point, but I guess humorous title doesn't have to mean humorous book...

McG

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »

Hmmm, yeah that makes it a struggle somewhat.

Like I said, I really like the title, but if your book isn't humorous, you may want to consider other options.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: