QueryTracker Community
June 24, 2018, 03:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first pitch for my second memoir (Put here by my mistake)  (Read 6419 times)
Jim Williams

Make up real

« on: April 30, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »

I may be attempting to sell myself on finishing my second memoir about homelessness as I am pitching it to all of you.

All comments welcome!

It is perhaps ironic there’s such a great distance between enjoyment I gain from serving another’s needs, and the hatred I feel when pressed into service to answer those same needs. If I were a factory worker, on the way home after work and stopping at a market, I’d be as glad as anyone to help someone get that unreachable can off the top shelf. But, the idea of being an employee of that same market, and ordered to perform the same service for the same person, is as abhorrent to me as being arrested.

While I can handle being told by a supervisor to concentrate on my job in a factory (or as once in real life, a pulp and paper plant), I revolt at the thought of anyone causing me to serve anyone’s need. I’ve looked at why that’s so true about me and have reached at least one conclusion.

I’ll concede having been granted a utility patent on an invention of mine during my formative years, will always alter how I see the world. One possible result is I’m now a singular witness to my own life as much as be part of it. With that belief, I contend the following:

•   Having a paying job as a factory worker or as a farmer, i.e., in manufacturing, or agriculture, results in the worker’s effort sustaining the economy.
•   Having a paying job as a checker in a grocery market, i.e. at a service, and results in a worker’s dependence on that same economy.
•   When one’s work, which includes making up inventions, sustains the economy, one earns.
•   When the same degree of work is dependent on that same economy, one is compensated.

I note while manufacturing continues to dwindle in the US while our need for services is either growing or staying the same, we don’t seem to be generating enough to pay for ourselves anymore. It appears to me the US is now so poor; we need to borrow from other’s productivity, most notably China’s, to stay afloat. Is that the only reason we borrow from the Chinese? So, we can stay afloat? I don’t know. I’ll just further note the People’s Republic of China isn’t borrowing from us, even if it’s currently dumping our Treasury bills.

None of this matters to me so much. But still, I am affected by my own invention and patent, and I tend to judge my success in life, solely on what degree I’ve helped sustain the economy. My problem is, I have no way of calculating how much return I’ve produced either for the society or the economy on which we all rely. I mean, how much have I taken out of society, including financial assets, compared to how much I’ve put in? So, my plan since 1982, the same year my single 1965 patent expired, was to realize being that inventor again by, one, placing new products on the market, and, two, earning my living from the return generated by such products.

My one patent: www.google.com/patents/us3200421

Rather than prevail, in 1986, I became disabled. It is now 2016, and even though I’ve tried to put products on the market for more than thirty years, I remain solely dependent on my Social Security, SSI, and a small trust fund for benefits. Or in other words, I am wholly dependent on the economy. So, at age 70, rather than trying to sell my products again, and help sustain the economy, I will be, in compromise, remaining dependent on the economy by writing this second memoir. I’ll be telling the story of this barely recognizable country I found being insane on the real streets of San Francisco.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:45:49 AM by Jim Williams » Logged

slightlysmall

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »

This isn't a pitch at all... it's a bit of a philosophy paper. And once I could get past the convoluted sentences, your philosophy is interesting. But that doesn't make this a pitch.

Jim Williams

Make up real

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »

I'd guess the pitch I was trying to make, besides posting my ideas, was although I was just another crazy street person, I'm a good witness to what I saw and can relate it well for all.

Someone else here has pointed out my sentences tend to be convoluted at best. I'm working on it as I continue to learn how to write.

I'm glad you found it interesting. Smiley It scares me.

Thanks 

Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »

TBH...I really couldn't understand this.

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019
Jim Williams

Make up real

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »

thanks. For me, it's more fun to read out loud than write. Although I'll bet I sound like those TV drug disclaimer spokespeople in commercials.

Fortunately for me, I could Google TBH. I concede I do need comments like yours. so. I know to what degree I do make sense.

Jim Williams

Make up real

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »

I apologize for posting this thing as an elevator pitch. I only guessed at what they are, and I was wrong. Although it's not really a synopsis either, I'll post it there, instead.

Jim Williams

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: