Author Topic: Inkitt  (Read 13594 times)

gckatz

Inkitt
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
Inkitt is plugging very hard right now, and if you're active in writing on almost any site--Twitter, fanfiction.net, Fictionpress--you're likely to get contacted by them about writing contests that can get you a Big Five deal. I've compiled the full story, and it's not pretty.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
Re: Inkitt
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Inkitt is plugging very hard right now, and if you're active in writing on almost any site--Twitter, fanfiction.net, Fictionpress--you're likely to get contacted by them about writing contests that can get you a Big Five deal. I've compiled the full story, and it's not pretty.

Pretty certain these guys DMed me. I really need to change the settings. I ignored them.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »
good heads up.. thanks Gcatz.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline violet

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:47:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Also, I had no idea we were neighbors.  :)

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Ugh, some companies... These guys DM'd me, too.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:49:48 PM »
Ewww.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Kimberly-

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
They also tweeted me a few days ago - I just ignored them.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:52:13 PM »
Ugh another account just hit me. They're called Spiral Writers though.

Offline quiarahb

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
Thanks so much for this!! A lot of them think they are slick reaching out to you through your social media. One "publisher" tried reaching me through my email. I was excited at first (newbie stage) until I realized what they were. Very sad, but I didn't contact them or send them anything. Also, it does help that I'm super cautious about sending stuff to people I know nothing about, so I'll research in a heartbeat! Lol!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Hah hah! They totally tweeted me a week ago with "I'd love to see your unpublished manuscript in our contest"

I alllllmost replied with something like "My unpublished manuscripts go to my literary agent."
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
Yeah, they Tweeted me so I replied by asking to see an example contract.

They'll get back to me. Sure.
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline stormi0611

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
They sent me a tweet shortly after I participated in DVpit. I went on their Twitter page and they had tweeted the same thing to hundreds of people. Couldn't that be reported as spam?

gckatz

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
They sent me a tweet shortly after I participated in DVpit. I went on their Twitter page and they had tweeted the same thing to hundreds of people. Couldn't that be reported as spam?

You can, but they have dozens of bots and can always create more. Twitter's spam reporting system is woefully inadequate for how the site actually gets used.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »

You can, but they have dozens of bots and can always create more. Twitter's spam reporting system is woefully inadequate for how the site actually gets used.

Unfortunately that's the same with many websites. I think twitter only has twitter jail.

Offline Nannan

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
That's sad :( Thanks for sharing your research! I wouldn't have come to that conclusion just by going on their site! (I guess always trust but verify, which I'm guilty of not doing)
Write On, People!