Author Topic: formatting a messy manuscript  (Read 14182 times)

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Re: formatting a messy manuscript
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
007, if you want, I can DM you my email address and you can send it to me. Would take me a couple of minutes to figure it out and send it back. :)

That's very nice of you, thank you! I haven't given up on trying to figure it out, for Word 2003 and 2016 since I have both. But I may have to tap you if I can't. ; )

Thanks again!  :)
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »
No problem! Sometimes it's just easier to fix it than to try to troubleshoot via text only. :)

The things to look into are the "link to previous" "different first page" and "format page numbers" settings.

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
No problem! Sometimes it's just easier to fix it than to try to troubleshoot via text only. :)

The things to look into are the "link to previous" "different first page" and "format page numbers" settings.

Ha! I understand. Couldn't tell you how many times I've said, 'just let me do it for you' in different situations because that was easier. ; ) Though that's mostly with hubby who might be feigning ignorance about whatever as a ploy for me to take over.

And I have used the three things you mentioned, but I must be missing something, being an idiot, which I'm good at. ; ) Contemplating bodily harm to my computer might be clouding my brain. Haha I'm going to start fresh today now that I have time and will see what I can accomplish, as long as it doesn't lead to murder.  >:D  I think I'll try with Word 2003 first since that seems easier for me to use overall, then try it on Word 2016. Or maybe I'll try Word 2016 first since the term you've used (design) in this thread is not in Word 2003. 

Thanks, again.  :)
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
Anyone know how to make it so that the header doesn't show up on title page? I tried inserting a blank page at the top and that didn't work. And I tried formatting the header on the first real page, after the title page, and that didn't work.

Also, since the page number will be in the header, it doesn't need to be at the bottom too? And if it still needs to be in the bottom too, how/what's the term for the feature that makes it so the title page isn't page 1?

There are two ways to do the first thing. This way is what will keep the header off the title page, but won't change the page numbers. The second way will help with both the header and the page number problems.

Way 1: Double-click inside the header and it should open up the "Design" tab. Click on "different first page." (then make sure it deleted the header from the first page, and not from every other page.)

Way 2: Delete your page break between the title page and the first page of the manuscript. Keeping your cursor in the same place, go under "Layout" and choose the "Breaks" drop-down menu. Insert a "Section Break, Next Page." Then, making sure you are on a manuscript page, not the title page, double click in the header section and unclick "Link to previous" in the "Design" tab. You'll probably have to re-add the header at this point, and delete it from the title page. Then click the drop-down menu for "Page number" and choose "Format page numbers." Choose "Start at" and change the number to 1. Then double-check that your title page doesn't have a header, and you should be set.

ETA: Rochelle, thank you!  :emb:

Thank you, resident expert!   :clap:

I got things to work fairly well in my 2016 Word, but the page numbers won't ascend. For my 2003 Word, now the header will only show up on one page and the numbers won't ascend when before I monkeyed around with it, the header with ascending numbers was set. Blech.

Another karma, thank you! I'll try playing around with things later, when I don't feel like murdering my computer.  ;D

Okay, so now I can have my header so that it starts showing up on page 1 of chapter one, not on the title page. And Microsoft just gave me
alt + shift + p and I now have my ascending numbers. And I didn't have to use any offered header from Word. I just right-aligned name/title/and hit alt, shift, p in the final spot. Done. Set.  :faint: 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:20:31 PM by 007 fan »

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
Anyone know how to make it so that the header doesn't show up on title page? I tried inserting a blank page at the top and that didn't work. And I tried formatting the header on the first real page, after the title page, and that didn't work.

Also, since the page number will be in the header, it doesn't need to be at the bottom too? And if it still needs to be in the bottom too, how/what's the term for the feature that makes it so the title page isn't page 1?

There are two ways to do the first thing. This way is what will keep the header off the title page, but won't change the page numbers. The second way will help with both the header and the page number problems.

Way 1: Double-click inside the header and it should open up the "Design" tab. Click on "different first page." (then make sure it deleted the header from the first page, and not from every other page.)

Way 2: Delete your page break between the title page and the first page of the manuscript. Keeping your cursor in the same place, go under "Layout" and choose the "Breaks" drop-down menu. Insert a "Section Break, Next Page." Then, making sure you are on a manuscript page, not the title page, double click in the header section and unclick "Link to previous" in the "Design" tab. You'll probably have to re-add the header at this point, and delete it from the title page. Then click the drop-down menu for "Page number" and choose "Format page numbers." Choose "Start at" and change the number to 1. Then double-check that your title page doesn't have a header, and you should be set.

I got things to work fairly well in my 2016 Word, but the page numbers won't ascend. For my 2003 Word, now the header will only show up on one page and the numbers won't ascend when before I monkeyed around with it, the header with ascending numbers was set. Blech.

Another karma, thank you! I'll try playing around with things later, when I don't feel like murdering my computer.  ;D

Okay, so now I can have my header so that it starts showing up on page 1 of chapter one, not on the title page. And Microsoft just gave me
alt + shift + p and I now have my ascending numbers. And I didn't have to use any offered header from Word. I just right-aligned name/title/and hit alt, shift, p in the final spot. Done. Set.  :faint: 

:y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y:

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 01:28:25 AM »

:y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y:

:celeb:  That's how I felt when I finally figured it out.  ;D  I still can't seem to do the header/numbering exactly the way it was explained in this thread, and I can't remember how I got my headers to ascend in numbers in the past when I didn't have a title page.

Here's how I now do it for Word 2003 (just select header to get the box to show up) and Word 2016 (I selected blank header because you have to choose one), in case it'll be helpful to someone because this was the hardest thing to get situated out of all the formatting things (for me)....the same way worked for both.

Put header in on title page after doing a page break at top of first chapter (or just go to top of title page if you already have one), align to right, I use name/title/, then I format page numbers to start at zero, then I put my cursor after the last slash and hit alt + shift + p. It will show that you have a header on title page with a page count of zero...name/title/0....but that will disappear off title page once you scroll to first page of first chapter. On first page of first chapter, it will read as name/title/1 and the numbers will ascend. That's it.

Thanks, again, to everyone who posted.   :clap:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:37:40 AM by 007 fan »