Author Topic: SF Bay Area Craigslist is Looking for a Novelist! Lol  (Read 53335 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
SF Bay Area Craigslist is Looking for a Novelist! Lol
« on: May 14, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
Check out this ad! This unnamed team of otherwise highly accomplished business and publishing executives wants YOU to write a novel for them! Does anyone else smell a scam???

Fiction Writer/Editor Wanted -- Highly accomplished team of business and publishing executives is looking for a skilled writer with special acumen in character development and the collaborative process to help complete a complex novel that has strong commercial appeal. The story is fully plotted with a partial draft completed, but we are open to creative ideas on structure, characters or color.

The story is a timely, dark comedy that takes place in the rarefied world of San Francisco society. No personal knowledge of S.F. is required. More details will be forthcoming for interested and qualified applicants.

The creative team consists of a Wall Street executive (and former journalist), a Los Angeles-based television executive, a top NY-based magazine and book editor and a senior editor at a major metropolitan newspaper who has written and directed three films.

The contracted agreement is for $10,000 and 10% of net publishing revenues after agent and editing fees. Please do not respond if not a published author from a reputable publishing house or with an MFA degree or with significant editing and writing experience in fiction.
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline violet

Re: SF Bay Area Craigslist is Looking for a Novelist! Lol
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
Sounds like they're looking for a ghost writer.

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »
Really? It seemed fishy to me. I dunno. I'm typically put off when people wont even mention names--who you'll be working with etc. Is the 10% net standard for ghostwriters?
www.alyconner.com

gckatz

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
"Group of non-authors with really good idea for a book seek someone to do all the work."

That said, if they're willing to sign a legit contract, it's not the worst way you could make a quick $10k.

Offline violet

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »
I wouldn't think they would name names in a CL ad. But it does sound like a ghost writing gig. And 10k? And everything is fully plotted and halfway drafted? I'd take that gig.  :)

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
I wouldn't think they would name names in a CL ad. But it does sound like a ghost writing gig. And 10k? And everything is fully plotted and halfway drafted? I'd take that gig.  :)

So would I. Halfsies?lol
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »
I love this ad. Haha A group of smart people had a great idea but then realized, oops, "writing a book is harder than we thought." Haha
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »
I love this ad. Haha A group of smart people had a great idea but then realized, oops, "writing a book is harder than we thought." Haha

Haha!

I also was wary of them having to advertise this. I would think, if they are who they say they are--established publishing executives--they would be connected enough to have writers begging to write this for them. It isn't like freelance content writing gigs for websites that you see all the time. And the wording of the payment structure seemed a bit off. 10% net after agent and editor fees? What exactly does that equate to? Do part of those "fees" come out of the 10,000? I dunno. Maybe years of reading scams has tainted me. But you guys are probably right about it being a ghostwriting gig.
www.alyconner.com

Offline violet

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 12:28:06 AM »
Lol, Ash!I could still use 5k.  :)

Alythia, anything on CL makes me wary. You may well be right that it's a scam. Or it could be legit. If I were trade pubbed, I'd submit, just to get the sitch.

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »
Lol, Ash!I could still use 5k.  :)

Alythia, anything on CL makes me wary. You may well be right that it's a scam. Or it could be legit. If I were trade pubbed, I'd submit, just to get the sitch.

Alythia, I'm suspicious for the same reasons you stated, and like Violet, if I had the background, I'd submit out of curiosity. Whether it's a scam or not, the message is hilarious....as I stated in an earlier post.  Haha
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:54:20 AM by 007 fan »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »

I also thought it sounded like they were looking for a ghost writer.
And sh**, yeah, that money sounds pretty good. And you get a percentage of earnings, too? I'm tempted to check into it.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Missus Braidyhead

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »

I also thought it sounded like they were looking for a ghost writer.
And sh**, yeah, that money sounds pretty good. And you get a percentage of earnings, too? I'm tempted to check into it.

Agree--they want a ghostwriter. Sounds like a weird place to look for one, but whatever works, I guess? And the pay sounds damn good. Most of the ghostwriting gigs I see just give a flat fee, no percentage of earnings afterward. I wonder how long the project is supposed to be. I mean, I don't wonder enough to apply, but it's definitely intriguing.

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
Haha! Okay, okay, well, here's the link for those of you who wanted to poke around: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/wri/5583607967.html

Let us know if they come back at you with an "interesting" contract. Now I'm curious! lol
www.alyconner.com

Offline JessicaOhSoRabbit

• Frosted Hills: Farmhouse
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
The message was funny and quite suspicious. I personally wouldn't even bother. Also, Craig's list-- come on lol.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:54:08 PM by JessicaOhSoRabbit »

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
Just the venue, Craig's List, sets off warning bells in my mind. That they've put their ad on CL instead of other, more legitimate literary venues, tells me these guys don't know squat.

Thanks for posting,
JP