QueryTracker Community
July 16, 2018, 03:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QueryTracker Needs Your Help  (Read 40098 times)
Patrick
Administrator

« on: June 17, 2007, 02:22:27 PM »

QueryTracker's collects anonymous data from users about their queries and compiles that data into reports designed to help writers better understand the query process, and narrow down the list of potential agents. 

To do these things, we will need to collect massive amounts of data, which of course means we will need as many users as we can possibly find.  That is why I am asking for your help.

What we can learn:
Have you ever wondered how long it typically takes a certain agent to respond to a query letter?  With QueryTracker users marking the times they send and received queries, we can find the average response times for each agent.

Does it take longer for an agent to respond when she likes a query as opposed to when she rejects one?

Has the agent just accepted a number of books in the same genre as yours, or has she gone a long time without accepting one of that genre?

Historically, does the agent respond better to snail-mail or e-mail queries?

Does an agent tend to reject more books of a certain genre , even though she says she represents that genre?

This is a very short list of the things we can learn from this data, there really is no limit.  We could eventually learn more about what an agent does or does not like than that agent even realizes herself.

Any ideas for other reports we could generate?  Post them here.

Any ideas for how others can help spread the word about QueryTracker?  Post them here, too.

Remember, there is Strength in Numbers!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:25:13 PM by Patrick » Logged
Julia
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

I mentioned it on my blog.  Does that help?
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:41:27 AM »

It sure does Julia, thanks.

In fact, if anyone is interested, I will make up some cool QueryTracker banners that you could place on your blog or website. 

I've even been known to do some custom graphics for members who want to spruce up their blogs, here is one I did recently blackcoffee-redpen.blogspot.com to show my appreciation for saying nice things about QueryTracker on her blog. (Is this a bribe, or just a way of saying thanks?  You be the judge.)
Lilly_Grant

Be careful, Evil Kitty is watching!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

I started a thread about Query Tracker on a couple writer's forums which I frequent.

Looks like this-

Subject: "Find An Agent"

"I just found a really great website for helping writers find a literary agent.  It is free, and really cool.  You have to check it out. It is querytracker.net"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are a member of a writer's forum or discussion board than you should do the same.  If you are not a member, than you really should find one to join.
Miss Java

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »

I'd put a banner up for you Pat.

clap

LadyRae

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »

I just pimped you & agentquery.net over at AR yahoo board because agents came up. Hope that helps you and some writers in search of agents!  ;)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-- Ray Bradbury
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »

Thank you LadyRae.  What is AR Yahoo board by the way?
LadyRae

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 07:18:47 PM »

No problem!

An Alternative Read is a yahoo group which helps readers and writers connect via promotion. Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/An_Alternative_Read/?yguid=6953932

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-- Ray Bradbury
Lilly_Grant

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »

I spied a thread on another forum and someone asked about agents, so I told them about Query Tracker.  I hope it helps. happy
FiveStarAuthor

Jon F. Baxley: Fantasy Author

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »

Hello Patrick:

I've just installed a blurb about QT on my personal page at MySpace. I included a direct link, so maybe that will bring some traffic. I hope it helps.

JFB

Here's a link so you can check it out:

http://profile.myspace.com/jonbaxley

Jon Baxley
Fantasy Author

THE BLACKGLOOM BOUNTY
(hardcover & eBook)
ISBN 1594144516
THE REGENTS OF RHUM
(coming, summer 2008)
THE SCIONS OF SCOTIA
(coming, fall 2008)
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »

Thanks Jon, that is just the kind of thing we need to help spread the word.
FiveStarAuthor

Jon F. Baxley: Fantasy Author

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 07:21:41 AM »

:inocent:Morning, Patrick and QTers:

I run a MySpace page called the Five Star Author Group. Originally it was designed to promote myself and many of the other authors at Thomson Gale Publishing. It has since grown to include a lot of MS users--authors, agents, reviewers, publishers, etc. Today, I installed a 'featured' link on the main author page to bring more traffic to QT. I thought I would post the HTML for the layout in case anyone else here might like to do the same. I also encourage QT users to set up a MySpace page and link to my personal page and the FS Author Group.

Here is the layout. I'm far from an expert with HTML, so I hope this works okay inside the forum. It looks good at MS, though.  ;)

<html>
<body>
<font size="2" color="white" face="Times New Roman"><B> FEATURED Link:
<P>
<i><b>QueryTracker.net</i></font></b><br>
<P>
<P>
<font size="1">
<a href="http://querytracker.net/index.php"<b>(Click for Query Tracker's main page.)</b></a><br>
<P>
"QueryTracker.net is a brand new community of writers looking for answers about agents and queries and keeping track of both. The reader forums are a great place to catch tidbits of insider news, author query advice and up to date agency information. Click on the link above to visit QueryTracker.net today."
<P>
<P>

Posted at
http://www.myspace.com/fivestarauthors

Jon Baxley
Fantasy Author

THE BLACKGLOOM BOUNTY
(hardcover & eBook)
ISBN 1594144516
THE REGENTS OF RHUM
(coming, summer 2008)
THE SCIONS OF SCOTIA
(coming, fall 2008)
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »

Some of you have asked for QueryTracker banners to put on your websites or blogs.  Here are a few to choose from

querytracker.net/banners.php
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »

I added a page displaying some different ways members can help spread the word about QueryTracker.

Take a look!

Lilly_Grant

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:12:44 PM »

I just read the page about helping Query Tracker.  I buy a lot of books from amazon.com so for now on I will buy them through Query Tracker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: