Author Topic: A Case of Diva Writers... or Diva Agents?  (Read 23137 times)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: A Case of Diva Writers... or Diva Agents?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

Offline violet

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
So after an editor calls her with an excited offer on her client's manuscript, does she say, "That's great! Now cool your jets for six months while I wait for a response from every other editor I submitted this to!"? Because that would be important to know if you ever wanted to be this agent's client.

;D

I love Janet Reid. She fin-slapped an agent once who was complaining about how she didn't have time to respond to every query. Janet claimed that every writer deserves a response, and even reminded the agent it could be an automated response. I'll dig for the article if anyone is interested. It's nice to see agents who champion writers.  :)

V-Taylor

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
A lot of agents on their blogs say that they can tell within the first 50 pages or so whether the book is something they want to handle. So being given 2 weeks to get back to an writer who has an offer is probably more time than most agents need. They're probably not going to read the whole book anyway if it's not ringing just right for them.

And if it's a book they love and can't put down once they get that nudge, they won't need two weeks either. They'll be up all night reading it, so they'll have 13 days of the deadline left over.

So there's no question of the author making an unreasonable demand or being pushy, whether others with the manuscript want to offer or not.

How's that for logic?  ;D

Offline sparklyunicorn

• world traveller, writer, recent college grad :)
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:31:54 PM »
This is an interesting post. I read it originally as "if the Offering AGENT gives the writer a deadline..." not the writer? Not sure, though.

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
So after an editor calls her with an excited offer on her client's manuscript, does she say, "That's great! Now cool your jets for six months while I wait for a response from every other editor I submitted this to!"? Because that would be important to know if you ever wanted to be this agent's client.

Omg, Tabris, I just laughed out loud, and my kids were all "What? WHAT?"

;D

I love Janet Reid. She fin-slapped an agent once who was complaining about how she didn't have time to respond to every query. Janet claimed that every writer deserves a response, and even reminded the agent it could be an automated response. I'll dig for the article if anyone is interested. It's nice to see agents who champion writers.  :)

I have MAD respect for Janet Reid. She's not afraid to say what's on her mind, and she doesn't somehow think that being an agent means she's strictly in the camp of TEAM AGENTS at all times. I've always noticed how she champions writers, and kicks some butt in the meantime.

This is an interesting post. I read it originally as "if the Offering AGENT gives the writer a deadline..." not the writer? Not sure, though.

She does start off with this, yes. And if that had been it, I'd say it's a great post about not getting strong-armed into rushing things. But this is the transition paragraph in my mind:

"Here’s the other side, and I’ll speak for myself. Other agents may have different feelings. But when I have a pile of urgent things that need to be done for my existing clients, and say this week someone has been particularly taxing, getting an email saying 'you gotta read this and decide if you want to get married in the next week', I may start to think, 'Ugh. Here’s a demanding author. Do I really have time for her? Will she always be so insistent?'"

That's where I started to get irritated along with the friend who sent it to me. Because, you're right, at first she's talking about the agents being pushy.

Not only that, but she's referring to her present clients as "taxing" her. That has a negative connotation, as though her clients drain her. Maybe it's just this post that makes it seem like she doesn't like writers, but I would definitely be wary of this kind of attitude because it seems like the precursor to burn out, which leads to career changes for the agent and the query trenches for the clients.

Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
A lot of agents on their blogs say that they can tell within the first 50 pages or so whether the book is something they want to handle. So being given 2 weeks to get back to an writer who has an offer is probably more time than most agents need. They're probably not going to read the whole book anyway if it's not ringing just right for them.

And if it's a book they love and can't put down once they get that nudge, they won't need two weeks either. They'll be up all night reading it, so they'll have 13 days of the deadline left over.

So there's no question of the author making an unreasonable demand or being pushy, whether others with the manuscript want to offer or not.

How's that for logic?  ;D

Agreed.
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline violet

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »

What Alythia said. The beginning does start out awesome. Well, except for because then agents, very very busy people.  :puke2:

But it's when she gives her "agenty opinion" that things slide south. We may want in, but if you seem like a demanding diva, we may walk away on that basis alone. Giving an agent two weeks is a demanding diva? Sheesh. Check the mirror, sweetie.

This reminds me of how some agents were acting 5+ years ago, when SP wasn't viable and we needed agents.

gckatz

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:29 PM »
Even if she frames it as offering agents, rather than authors, being demanding, she's still setting up still-out agents in opposition to authors and offering agents. After all, both the latter benefit from the deadline, while the former doesn't. And she isn't just saying "don't let an agent strong-arm you into a deadline" because she's not allowing the author the option to accept the deadline if they want to. In fact, she's strong-arming the author into not setting a deadline.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
If Diva Agent wants not to be in this position, she needs to read fulls and partials the instant they hit her inbox so she's guaranteed to be the first offering agent. If not, too bad, so sad, do your damn job. If you don't like diva writers who want to follow the industry standards, then by all means, step aside.

Offline hesterL

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
That's a bit of an odd post.  When I got my offer, I gave one week (well, a bit more since the weekend was included) for other agents to weigh in.  Everyone responded promptly and professionally, and I was never made to feel like I was doing something wrong by imposing a deadline...

IMO, if an agent makes an offer, it's far more professional on the writer's part to not leave the offering agent hanging for an indefinite period for others to weigh in.  I understand this places pressure on non-offering agents, but they're certainly at liberty not to read/respond if the deadline can't be met. 

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:56 AM »
In a year, let's see if this agent is writing another post about inconsiderate writers who keep her hanging for a month after she makes an offer just in case they get a better offer from someone else.  :inocent:

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
I commented. And I see others did as well  :wink:
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
Stupid question but anyone know which agency she works for?
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
Love reading all of the comments! Go QTers!

Tabris, it sounded like she totally misunderstood your question, which does not bode well for her professionalism as an agent. A pre-empt is not the same thing. If she had an offer from an editor, would she let other editors even know there was interest, or would she take the only thing on the table?

Ugh! I hate it when a voice of supposed authority spews misinformation.  :no:

JeanneG
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:16:03 PM by JeanneG »
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 11:13:33 AM »
Stupid question but anyone know which agency she works for?

Pippin Properties. I have never heard of them, but that doesn't mean much. Apparently they do kidlit, so I wouldn't have researched them for my own work.