Author Topic: A Case of Diva Writers... or Diva Agents?  (Read 23151 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Re: A Case of Diva Writers... or Diva Agents?
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
Omg you guys! I'm a dork! I totally skimmed over that typo and was like damn! Gckatz is hard core! I guess there's fiber in wood... Lol!!
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
*waves to Flagirl!* Good to see you!

You know, I mostly have to disagree about the conference thing. The local conferences here are still in the hundreds of dollars. And if you want to go into pitch sessions with editors, they add on the cost. Is pitching in person better? Heck, yes! No disagreement there. But what JR is saying is to bypass querying! What?! You need to bypass the two dimensional communication of the query letter trenches. You need to meet me (or my ilk) at a conference, talk about your book, let me help you with a query, make me fall in love with your BigNewBeautifulKickAss Book, and I will request pages. She's not stating it's another good way to meet her, she's stating it's the only way.

Someone else responded on the thread to that agent who posted about not giving two weeks, and I thought the response was a good one: basically, there are tons of agents out there. How are we supposed to know what each agent wants when they all have different rules to play the game? There are things expected of writers, but for agents it can be a free-for-all. 

Oh, I will add that my other friend also SP to dismal numbers. His next book he queried and got a "big" agent at WH. She never asked him about his numbers; she didn't care. She cared about the book she was going to sub.

I think this holier-than-thou attitude needs to go, though. I think there are awesome agents out there, and I think there are terrible ones who abuse their power. See: mall cops.  :wink:

"Waves back"
On a lighter note, it's fun to follow the parody twitter account bad literary agent. She is hilarious calling out people in the industry
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline sparklyunicorn

• world traveller, writer, recent college grad :)
    • Blog
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
I love how the comments are pretty much from QT people after a certain point. :)

Her updates make sense, and it looks like she meant to agree with what Alythia said--that if an agent starts reading close to the deadline because that's the soonest she can, and asks for another two days because she's loving it so far, then it's rude to deny her those two days. On the whole, I think her ETAs are fair enough, but they definitely didn't come across in the original post.

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »
It looks like she updated the post: https://heatheralexanderblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/an-offer/

Nice!

I love how the comments are pretty much from QT people after a certain point. :)

Her updates make sense, and it looks like she meant to agree with what Alythia said--that if an agent starts reading close to the deadline because that's the soonest she can, and asks for another two days because she's loving it so far, then it's rude to deny her those two days. On the whole, I think her ETAs are fair enough, but they definitely didn't come across in the original post.

Agreed! Yeah, it was probably easier for her to clarify her point via post edit than to respond to everyone. I had a feeling the vagueness was working against her...
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline JessicaOhSoRabbit

• Frosted Hills: Farmhouse
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Please forgive me, but once you have an agent, it takes two. If you are given a deadline, try your best to oblige. There are many, and I mean many of us that haven't even been given the opportunity to land an agent. Granted, there should be a mutual respect between both the agent and the writer. And at the end of the day, its all about communication. I agree that there are diva agents out there, I've seen a few on twitter, but there are diva writers too. Again I've seen this.