Author Topic: WL Writers Literary Agency  (Read 14868 times)

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
WL Writers Literary Agency
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:04:36 PM »
I googled 'literary agents' and found this one, WLWriters' Agency.  What the heck, I filled out their website, but did it very poorly and still got a request for my manuscript!  the request (and website) was filled with reassurances that 'my manuscript is safe with them', which has my scam-radar beeping like there's 'incoming.'

Has anyone heard of them?  They weren't listed here.
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
Re: WL Writer's Agency?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »
Check them on Preditors and Editors.

Offline audal

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:32:08 PM »
SCAM, SCAM, and SCAMALOT!

Check here: http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html

This is one of the more common scam "agencies."  See the bottom of the list for details, then forbid yourself to proceed any further.  I'm not even saying this is my opinion - I'm saying RUN!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Lynne

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »
Here's the link for the Predators & Editors site:
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Always check there first before sending anything to an agency. You can also find information about reputable agents in the market guides, like Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market if you're writing children's books, or one of the other Writer's Market books if you're writing for adults.

Offline audal

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »
Agents listed on the AAR website http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do are also considered reputable because they adhere to a specific code of ethics.

As for Pred & Ed... They have truly a comprehensive listing, but your best bet is to stick with the ones with a "$" next to their name... or even better, ones that have been recommended.  Sometimes there are names there of people who are believed to be agents, but if you run a web check on them, you'll find some very bad things said about them.

And from my experience thus far, the Query Tracker main site has been doing a great job collecting names from the upper echelon.  Always do your homework, though.  Look hard for flaws.  Be thorough.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline justwrite

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
What seems to work best for me has been to search here on Querytracker, then click on the link to agentquery.com
I tend to steer clear if there isn't a link to agentquery.com.

yes...I don't think you'll find scammers on her. We *zap* them like mosquitos!

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »
holy moly!!!  what in heaven's name were they hoping to get out of me?  what kind of horrible person does this, anyway?  sheesh.  glad I asked!
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline justwrite

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »
They'll probably ask you for money or refer you to a book doctor who will then ask you for money. That's my guess.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
These are the guys we were fighting against earlier
(see thread http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=172.0)

They are huge parasites on the writing community.  I'm not exactly sure what their angle is, but I'd guess it goes something like this. "You have a really wonderful book here, it needs just a few minor fixes and I'm sure it will be a best seller.  Our editor would love to take a shot at it.  He only charges $500, which of course would be returned to you fully from the royalties you are going to make."

or

"I know this book is going to be huge, unfortunately the publisher is afraid to take the chance.  But if you could come up with half the cost of publication he would feel compelled to pay the rest.  Your half will be returned to you as soon as the book starts to sell and the publisher has to eat his words."

There are a lot of desperate writers out there who fall for this every day.  I wish there were some way we could stop it.  If it were a brick and mortar outfit we could camp outside and picket. 

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:11:10 PM »
I think I should list them on QT, with a great big skull and crossbones warning.  That way people will know.

Offline Lynne

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:06 PM »
Here's something that's a lot of fun: PublishAmerica is also one of those skull-and-crossbones-worthy companies. Search for the book Atlanta Nights if you haven't seen it already. A group of writers came together and wrote the worst book they could possibly write, then submitted it to PublishAmerica to see what would happen.

Of course they were offered a contract!

You can read Atlanta Nights online for free, and the authors had it self-published by the company Lulu. (A self-publisher that doesn't pretend otherwise.) Some writing teachers use it to show students examples of what not to do.

Offline audal

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »
Anytime you're submitting to an agency as a collective, it's a bad sign.  Almost always there are agents you will write to directly, then they'll possibly pass your letter around the offices if they see fit.

With this particular agency, I could've submitted my letter of last night that's in the World's Worst forum and I would've gotten a positive reply.

I also quite possibly could have submitted:

Dear Agency,

Gurble dibble thork-attack off plot-pointapalooza, and woodchucks do chuck wood.  Alpen flapper fork without tromboneathon dim sum and zim zam, my fictional novel manuscript book HORTON STARTS A GREASE FIRE.

I look forward to running you over with your own car.

Audal

Hmmm.  That felt good.  Can I borrow these >  :draw:

Thanks.

Point being, these are the types of scam artists who pray on the hopes of writers who will grab any bait on any hook.  Don't bite.

Part of me wants to submit this letter, 'cause it's 50/50 I'd get a positive response.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:58:14 PM by audal »

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:37:36 AM »
Dear Agency,

Gurble dibble thork-attack off plot-pointapalooza, and woodchucks do chuck wood.  Alpen flapper fork without tromboneathon dim sum and zim zam, my fictional novel manuscript book HORTON STARTS A GREASE FIRE.

I look forward to running you over with your own car.

Audal

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Oh please please please submit this!
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline justwrite

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 07:19:49 AM »
Yeah!!!! I read this last night and laughed my head off!!! Too funny!!!

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 08:03:51 AM »
Why don't we all go over and submit something completely ludicrous, just to waste a little of their time.  Everyone who has posted a world's worst can send theirs to these guys, then we can post the replies.