Author Topic: QueryTracker is a politics-free zone  (Read 12487 times)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
QueryTracker is a politics-free zone
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
QueryTracker has always been a positive place for writers to come together and talk about writing. I don't want to see that ruined by politics, so QueryTracker is now a Politics-Free Zone.

The election is over, and it is now time to focus on your writing. I know I am.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:08:37 AM by Patrick »

gckatz

Re: QueryTracker is a politics free zone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm out, then. Writing is an inherently political act.

All you lovely folks can catch me on twitter @gwenckatz.

Online Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
Thank you, Patrick. Tensions and emotions are so high everywhere online right now that it's good to have a politics-free zone.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:10 AM »
Crap! I see you hyphenated politics-free. I should have done that, too. I'll go fix it. See how we can all learn about writing by sharing.

Offline jldelozier

• Twitter: @jldelozier
    • Author website
Re: QueryTracker is a politics-free zone
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:22 AM »
I think it's nice to have a safe place to discuss ALL issues, especially when surrounded by fellow writers with whom you can agree or respectfully disagree.
However, I know it's very easy for people to stray across that faint line in the sand and enter into inappropriate behavior. It's so difficult to read the nuance in posts such as these. What might be a firm opinion for one person seems bullying to another. It can quickly become uncomfortable.
The bottom line - it's your site, Patrick, and we owe you a ton of thanks for hosting it. If you think a moratorium is best, I respect your decision.
Jen/J.L. Delozier

author of The Photo Thief (coming soon!), the Silver Falchion award winner Con Me Once, and the Persephone Smith thriller series

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
Thank you, Patrick.
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline Doggy Teng

• Lara Campbell McGehee, SF and Fantasy Author
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »
I think it's nice to have a safe place to discuss ALL issues, especially when surrounded by fellow writers with whom you can agree or respectfully disagree.
However, I know it's very easy for people to stray across that faint line in the sand and enter into inappropriate behavior. It's so difficult to read the nuance in posts such as these. What might be a firm opinion for one person seems bullying to another. It can quickly become uncomfortable.
The bottom line - it's your site, Patrick, and we owe you a ton of thanks for hosting it. If you think a moratorium is best, I respect your decision.
:agree:

Writing is an inherently political act.
I also agree that this is definitely true, and that it's a good thing.  And there will always be times when our political views may be apparent in the things we say about writing as well.  But there's a difference between that and having blatant discussions about politics in a way that could make some people uncomfortable, just as jldelozier said, and that's the way I'm interpreting this; it doesn't mean having to avoid saying anything related to writing that might also touch on a political issue.

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »
Amen. Thanks, Patrick
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »
I'm out, then. Writing is an inherently political act.

When someone posts a query for critique and people comment about perceived problems with the overall idea for a novel, I cringe. Usually I even agree with the apparent problems being pointed out, but a query review is not the place to tell someone to revise her entire story arc and completely rewrite her novel.

Likewise, if someone were to post a query for or pages from a novel with a strong political message (which is unusual, despite the assertion every picture book about potty training and bodice-ripping romance is somehow political), my own politics would have nothing to do with my assessment of the query or writing. At most, I might silently opt out of commenting on something I disagreed with to the extent I did not want to play any role in helping it come to fruition.

It makes little difference whether I think Patrick's decision is a good one, since it is his to make regardless. But FWIW, I think it's probably necessary to keep the unique level of civility this place can claim intact.
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Online Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
There's a huge difference between "I don't believe you've adequately backed up your assertion" and "Senator SmytheJones is a turd."

Offline 24_Stars

• Patience and perserverance is key to success.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »
I just saw this. Thanks.

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
Senator SmytheJones is NOT a turd.

Online Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »
Senator SmytheJones is NOT a turd.
I don't believe you've adequately backed up your assertion. :-)

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
president Grant killed someone and you guys are arguing about whether SmytheJones is a turd?   really?
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.