QueryTracker Community
April 21, 2018, 08:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wizard and the Knightmare Opening Lines - YA Fantasy  (Read 2334 times)
JEC112

« on: December 01, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »

As Frank Williams read his favorite scene in his favorite book, his arm mimicked the movements of the curse-shattering sword-fight. Unfortunately for him, the only curse he really encountered came in the form of an unjust bedtime.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

while I like the thought that the words are conveying, it sounds more like a line from a query than a line form a book to me.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »

Unfortunately for him, the only curse he really encountered came in the form of an unjust bedtime.
I'm not following the logic: Why is having such a trivial curse an unfortunate thing? Seems it would be just the opposite, a good thing.
slightlysmall

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »

Unfortunately for him, the only curse he really encountered came in the form of an unjust bedtime.
I'm not following the logic: Why is having such a trivial curse an unfortunate thing? Seems it would be just the opposite, a good thing.

My guess is it's not a legitimate curse, but a child who believes he's cursed. I.e., he wants magic in his world, but all he gets is a bedtime.

JEC, I quite like it. Reads a bit too MG if you're going for YA, but it's a solid start to a portal fantasy. (Although IDK how well portal fantasies are going right now.)

jcwrites

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »

Okay, I get it. The YA threw me.
mgmystery

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »

I like it for MG too! The whole "My life is so boring" thing really fits for that age. You might consider reversing the order of the first sentence: Frank Williams' arm mimicked the movements of the curse-shattering sword fight as he read the best scene in his favorite book.
dragoness

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:46:26 AM »

I think that beginning with indignation of injustice is great!  clap

Yet, IMHO, beginning with a reading scene is not unique and interesting enough. I think it's better to start with other description of his indignation of injustice, both of his parents' and his book's.

If you do start with the reading, I prefer mgmystery's wording, when his actions come before his reading.
BarryW54

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

I can see it now. As Young Frank fights the fire-breathing dragon that guards the castle's wealth, his mother calls, "Fraaaank, time for bed dear!"  clap I like it.
vivaviolet

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »

Yep, sounds like MG--maybe because of the unjust bedtime?  I liked this. Nice and wry. 
JEC112

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »

Frank Williams's eyes soaked in the words from his favorite scene in his favorite book, and his arm mimicked the movement of the curse-shattering shattering sword-fight. But unlike the brave heroes in his stories, Frank's adventure came to an end with the call of his name.
samcantcook

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »

Hey! I prefer the first one. Both are good, but the first one has more voice for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: