QueryTracker Community
July 23, 2018, 03:04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acorn Publishing  (Read 1274 times)
blackhat

« on: February 03, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »

Anyone have experience working with Acorn Publishing?

As I understand it they are a hybrid company - neither fully a publisher nor fully an agency. You submit a query and your first ten pages, just like any agent. However, if your project is ultimately selected you are offered a contract for a fee to join their imprint. They offer a guided journey through the process of readying your book for publication through the Amazon CreateSpace self publishing system. Essentially, I believe they are a type of vanity press with online experience on the best ways to roll out a self published book. I believe they are trying to select well-written stories (fiction and non-fiction) in a variety of genres in order to help elevate those books above the crowds of titles on Amazon. Maybe their hope is that in the long run the efforts will start to differentiate Acorn Publishing from the mob and give it and their books a certain visibility that will improve sales. I don't know that, I'm just hypothesizing. Obviously, most of us would prefer to be published by one of the Big 5 print companies and be represented by a fancy New York agent, but short of that, is this a better option than say a small press offering or doing it all on our own?  By the way, the fee is not small - it's nearly $3k
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

You can do it yourself for a hell of a lot less than three thousand dollars. Seriously, I would not go for that on a dare.

If you want recommendations on someone to do all the indie stuff for you, I know folks who will do the whole package for a quarter that much, or I could give you recommendations on a cover artist, editor, formatter, etc, and you could do it for about $300. But that fee for a book packager is really high.

Come visit my weblog!
gckatz

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »

That sounds very sketch to me. Not only is that an incredibly high fee for what they're offering, but calling themselves a publisher when they don't even have their own publishing platform, and requiring a query when you're really just buying their services, makes it seem like they're trying to claim more legitimacy than they have. Reminiscent of those vanity publishers who make you query but then accept every query for publication to give authors a falsely inflated sense of importance.

blackhat

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:56 PM »

I agree. All good points. Acorn is presenting at one of the workshops during the San Diego Writers' Conference in mid February that I'm attending. I'll ask a lot of these questions and tell you what they say. The founders are two fellow authors and I'm interested to hear them. The term Hybrid Publishing is misleading since they aren't really publishing, Amazon is.  I'm interested to discover if there's anything that they're able to do that I can't do myself or that I can't purchase. I'm still pretty sure they can't get a book onto the shelves of bookstores or into libraries.
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:31:14 AM »

I'm wondering if you have decided to stop querying agents. If you still want to query agents, it's best not to submit your work to publishers at the same time. Any agent you sign on with will not be able to approach the publishers who've already seen your manuscript.

If you're querying agents and not getting request for fulls or partials, perhaps your query needs to be improved. You can post  your query for suggestions. Or maybe you're not targeting the agents best suited to represent your work. I'm doing better at identifying suitable agents since taking a month's paid subscription to Publisher's Marketplace I started a thread about PM here:

http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=22520.0

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:21:00 AM by Munley » Logged
blackhat

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »

No, I'm still querying only agents not publishers at this time. I understand what you're saying. And I did put my query up for suggestions a while ago and was greatly helped by the experience. It just so happened that one of the owners of Acorn was a designated reader for the writing conference I'm going to in mid Feb and read the first 10 pages I had submitted to them from a new book I'm working on. She liked the pages and contacted me on her own. I'm just trying to understand more fully what Acorn Publishing is and is not. That's all.
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 10:23:26 AM »

No, I'm still querying only agents not publishers at this time. I understand what you're saying. And I did put my query up for suggestions a while ago and was greatly helped by the experience. It just so happened that one of the owners of Acorn was a designated reader for the writing conference I'm going to in mid Feb and read the first 10 pages I had submitted to them from a new book I'm working on. She liked the pages and contacted me on her own. I'm just trying to understand more fully what Acorn Publishing is and is not. That's all.

Oh, I see.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »

However, if your project is ultimately selected you are offered a contract for a fee to join their imprint.

This is where I would stop.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: