QueryTracker Community
December 18, 2017, 02:34:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jolly Fish Press  (Read 1468 times)
elysezane

« on: January 17, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »

I don't see any posts here about Jolly Fish Press yet.

After I cold queried them in October 2016, they requested a full from me a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have any experience with / knowledge of Jolly Fish?

I know they announced they were closing, also last October, but then they were acquired by North Star Editions.
http://www.jollyfishpress.com/index.html
http://blog.jollyfishpress.com/2016/10/north-star-editions-acquires-jolly-fish.html

From what I can tell, up until now, North Star has published books for children and young adults only.

My work is adult historical fiction with romantic elements, and is similar to only two of Jolly Fish's current titles, a series called The Kremlins by L.K. Hill (Citadels of Fire and Bastions of Blood).

The "We're closing" / "We're NOT closing!" makes me nervous, but I suppose that's par for the course with small publishers. I'm a debut novelist, and after well over 100 queries, I've given up on finding an agent, so it's either a small publisher or self-publishing.

Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »

That's not par for the course with small publishers. I would be really leery about a publishing house that did the we're closing / we're not closing flip-flop.

Come visit my weblog!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:00:59 AM »

So JFP did some really sketchy sh**, like announcing online they were closing before telling their authors.

Then there were some rights grabs and stupid stuff around that.

But, after they announced they were closing, they were then acquired by North Star Editions, which is a MN based publisher. They also scooped up Flux when Flux was (stupidly) falling apart.

Now, I've heard from a few people that NSE has actually been great to work with after the Flux failure, so you'd have to do more research there.

But JFP is officially defunct, so I would check to see where that full request is coming from. If it's from JFP, I wouldn't send it to them. You could reach out to some of JFP bigger clients to ask them how they were treated at the end (spoiler: they treated them poorly.)

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
elysezane

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »

That's not par for the course with small publishers.

And this goes to show how little I know about the publishing industry and how much I need you fine folks. Thank you both for your advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: