QueryTracker Community
November 17, 2017, 06:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going on Sub- number of editors?  (Read 1867 times)
Indy18

« on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »

I'm going on sub in a couple of weeks. I just had a pre-sub call with my agent and the plan is to do a big first round, 10-15 submissions.

Can anyone tell me about their first rounds? What are the pros and cons of a small v. big sub? Why would an agent chose one over the other? What's the rationale behind it? Also, I know my agent has already talked to some of these editors and knows ahead that some of them want to read it- is that typical too, to sort of "feel out" different editors to see who is receptive PRE sub?

And if I thought I was nervous before during all the other steps to reach this point....it was nothing compared to the butterflies now. Now I feel like a baby being dumped into water and it's sink or swim!
Spat

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »

Totally normal feels, and congrats! You're going on sub!  clap

Our first rounds are usually about 10 editors. My agent gets a feel, sometimes by talking to the editor in advance in meetings or lunch or other conversations, sometimes she already knows what their interests are or what they're looking for. This is good because otherwise she might be sending to someone who has little or no interest in your specific type of book. You might lose a chance at that imprint all together with that pass, and the agent doesn't want to waste her time or the editor's time. Plus, if an editor feels that the agent is always bringing them stuff they never want/like, they might tend to dismiss future proposals from that agent. The agent should have a keen sense of who to go for, just like querying agents.

You don't want to send the book to a huge amount of editors, just like querying, go in stages. The agent has top tier editors who would most likely go for the book. Sometimes, if you get rejections, there might be a pattern for you to change or revise, and thus implementing that before a second round of submissions. I've always heard to be wary of agents who throws a book out at all their editorial contacts at once.
Indy18

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »

Oh, thank you! That was really informative. And it does make me feel better, actually, to see how much work and thought my agent is putting into all this!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »

Everything Spat said.

I went on sub super quick and wasn't on it very long, but there was a rolling list of 10 editors for me. When one passed, my agent sent it out to another. Most of the editors on my sub list knew the book was coming and were ready to read.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
alexatd

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »

My first round ended up being a total of 14, though one was subbed later on after someone at a different imprint (same house) passed. My second round is 10 editors. AFAIK, this is fairly standard. The smallest round I've heard of from friends is 4-6 for first round sub.

Indeed, my agent had talked to most of the editors beforehand at lunches and whatnot. In some cases, she would chat with one editor and find out someone else at the imprint would be a better fit, etc.

Good luck!
Speckle

Am querying and... reading and writing.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:35 AM »

Well done on getting an agent, and submission, how exciting for you!

Each submission story is different. If you're really suffering in sub hell when it kicks off, and need to blow off steam with people in the same boat, I do recommend this thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?306747-The-Next-Circle-of-Hell-Vol-2/page175

There are lots of writers there suffering through submission hell, and there it's very clear that each agent has different strategies and that each submission story is different.

From what I gather, submission is like querying: all you can do is wait, and try not to make a suffering of the waiting. And if you figure out how to do that, let me know! I'm only on the querying side of the fence, and think I'd love to send off queries, and then do an "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" vibe: in short, forget about the whole thing until I got some good news. Ha ha.
Indy18

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »

Good point Speckle- I'm going to close my eyes! And focus on the suffering of writing the next thing. Keep on writing, that's all that's gotten me this far, and all I can do now, right?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: