QueryTracker Community
March 18, 2019, 07:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pasting into these stupid, stupid form fields!  (Read 1195 times)
mafiaking1936

« on: December 26, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

I've got to be missing something here. A lot of these "slick" new agency websites require queries to be pasted into text boxes. These boxes DO NOT reproduce formatting. At all. No italics, no paragraph indents. It just looks like a wall of text. I don't believe for one second that any agent will bother to read this incomprehensible mess. I'm not going to go through fifty pages and manually extra line every paragraph and put those medieval underscores for italics. Is this normal? What should I do? Angry
Curious Author

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »

Don't worry about the italics. Generally, I put titles in all caps. If a word or two was italicized in the query for emphasis, it just gets lost.

When e-mailing, there generally shouldn't be paragraph indents at all. You should just start on a new line with a space between the paragraphs (like this post here).

Also, for your sample pages, if they're using a form, they understand that some formatting will be lost.
jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »

"I'm not going to go through fifty pages and manually extra line every paragraph and put those medieval underscores for italics."

Many (if not most) agencies won't accept attachments but instead request that you paste your first five-ten-twenty pages (or whatever) at the bottom of the emailed query letter. Some mail servers may be able to handle your formatted text (font, indents, etc.), but chances are it will all be stripped away and your dream agent will get the "wall of text". The safest bet is to convert those requested pages yourself: change then font to Arial 12 or 14, remove the indents, and (yep) insert a blank line between paragraphs. There's no law saying you have to do this, of course, but if you don't get a reply to your QL, you'll always wonder if your formatted ms arrived in readable form.
atwhatcost

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »

Try Google Documents. Go through the hassle once on there and then copy/paste that. I don't know why, but it stays formatted for forms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: