QueryTracker Community
September 23, 2017, 06:47:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Legal Question...  (Read 5553 times)
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »

okay...  not sure even who I would go to, to even ask this one.

I was thinking About writing a memoir.  The big problem here is that one of the major incidents in my life that I'd need to touch on was a lawsuit that I've mentioned on here before.

Basically when I was in University I was running and in charge of hte University Judo club and a student was injured after hours.  I was sued for roughly 27 Million dollars (covered by various umbrella policies, and to the best of my knowledge the insurance companies are still fighting over who has to pay for it) And ultimately found as one of the parties at fault.

So, is this something that I need to go past or gloss over?  Do I change names, etc, or do I somehow get in touch with the parties invovled beforehand?   I don't even know if this is something I will publish someday, for now it's more along the lines of something that I'd write, just for me a post it somewhere online.  I'm thinking laws would come into play more whenand if I ever start to make money off it, but I don't want to put something out there that gets me in trouble either, as my version of what happened to this student is VASTLY different from the version that he put forward at the trial, and might be considered slander?

IDK,  Opinions, leads on who I should contact, etc?

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Grinder

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

I think the question is the reason you bring up the incident. Did it change your life? Make you more cautious? Alter your faith in institutions - whatever. These are perspectives that would interest the reader and probably not result in litigious consequences. As long as you stay away from commenting on the specifics of the law suit. I'm not a lawyer but if the incident had an impact on your life you should bring it up. If not, why write about it?
Falthor

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »

Huge impact on my life.

before any of this happened I saw myself moving forward int he world of Martial Arts, I was on track to ref at the national level, and I was taking Ju-Jitsu and pursuing MMA...  I don't do any of those thibgs now as I was basically blackballed from Judo in particular, and most other martial arts in the area as a result of the lawsuit.  It made a profound shift in my plan for life.

It also gave me a huge insite into how the legal system actualy works and a lot of trust type issues there about because the guy who sued me basically fabricated his story, and my lawyers didn't call any coroborating witnesses to the stand, when I asked about the possibility of countersuing for defamation (I'd been barred from Judo for about 7 years at that point) I was basically given the brush off and told to forget about it.  When iw as finally allowed to return to practicing Judo I was still treated as a pariah, and still am, not welcome anywhere.   If I ever want to practice Judo again I basically have to assume a new name an dpretend to be someone else, and then start from the bottom and work my way back up again.

I want to write in detail about this but obviously I'm not going to if it's goign to cause leagl issues for me.

KimE

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »

here is a post that may help

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/defamation-and-invasion

I am burdened with glorious purpose.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »

I definitely think it's something you would want to speak to an attorney about, maybe even 2 (literary and court,) before you post it anywhere.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
loose leaf

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

before any of this happened I saw myself moving forward int he world of Martial Arts, I was on track to ref at the national level, and I was taking Ju-Jitsu and pursuing MMA...  I don't do any of those thibgs now as I was basically blackballed from Judo in particular, and most other martial arts in the area as a result of the lawsuit.  It made a profound shift in my plan for life.

Wow, that's rough. I have a complicated history with martial arts myself, but my dreams got nipped pretty early on. I can imagine how much it would've sucked if I actually got far and had something going for me, only to have it ruined. Would've been a lot harder to deal with.
Falthor

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »

And the only thing that made it better is time.   To a certain degree I'm still not over it.   When i start thinking about it too much or writing about it I can feel that anger flowing back in, my keystrokes pick up pace while I start to hammer the keys harder (I'm doing it right now).

There actually has been a blog online since the incident happened where I detailed my side of the story and I was never contacted about it in any way shape or form (It's on Live journal)  A lot went down outside of the case that really shook me to my foundation at the time.  I took my case all the way up the chain of command, from Judo Ontario to judo Canada and then all the way up to the Kodokan in Japan (the birthplace of Judo) only to be refereed back to the people who screwed me over to start with.

When I was a kids one of the things I wanted most in life was to have a black belt.  IDK a kid watching too many Martial Arts movies I guess, but it's a goal that I've pretty much had to give up on because of my name and the lawsuit that is attached to it. 

Then there's the guy who got hurt, and my feelings there.  I am partially responsible for the fact that he is a quadriplegic, and that hurts too.  My name to date is still brought up, online mostly, in discussions about Responsibility and coaching...  it's sad really.  I have kind of put this aside again for a while but the idea of a memoir is still eating a whole in the back of my head somewhere.

loose leaf

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »

Omg Falthor I just realized I know what you're talking about  eek
Falthor

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »

I rest my case.

I will never get a black belt in Judo it seems.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: