QueryTracker Community
December 18, 2017, 02:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype-based writing group  (Read 5166 times)
GVonCarstein

« on: May 18, 2016, 11:18:34 PM »

Hello all,

This is a recruitment thread for a skype-based writing group that I am forming up out of the ashes of my previous one that fell apart due to attrition and the old organizer disa-poof-ing as people do on the internet.

Current interested parties include:

1) Myself, leader extraordinaire - Writing SciFi and Fantasy novels, Adult and YA
2) A Montreal-based short story writer (also dabbles in YA, also previously published)
3) A Toronto-based Dark Fantasy novelist
4) An American med student who doesn't write much but loves to critique/edit

I am currently looking for two more people to fill out the roster and we are aiming to find people writing with the serious intent to get published (or who have been published). We hope for a weekly group but have not yet set a day/time. My aim is for a weekend time (Sunday afternoons/evenings?) so that work things don't interrupt for people frequently. Soon the four of us will all be in EST, but other timezones are more than welcome.

Procedure of the group would be submit a chapter or two at a time the previous week, giving everyone time to read, then during the group meeting I or someone else will run us through commentary and answering any questions the author asks. Generally the author tries to be silent during this, only answering direct questions, rather than commenting back. Request for more detail on a comment would be the exception.

I'm not sure how well I'm selling it at this point so I'll stop rambling. It's a writing group, we're nice people, and it feels good to talk with our 'tribe.' If anyone is interested just drop a note in this thread with what you're writing and any previous experience with writing groups and I'll PM you with Skype details so we can have a brief intro chat and both be sure we aren't getting involved with serial killers.

Thanks!
Moonim

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »

Hi, I would be very interested. I write YA, generally fantasy and sci-fi. I used to belong to a writing group in person with five other writers who wrote a wide range of work. I was with them for three years but recently just moved out of state, and because they are in person, parted ways. I miss the atmosphere we had dearly, which was very similar to what you have. We met twice a month and swapped a week before the meeting, and did similar style to you. We would pull up someones work, then sort of go around and discuss while the author listened, places and things we thought could use improvement, etc.

I would be very interested, if you'd have me. I have written three completed manuscripts and am currently querying my most recent. I am very serious about improving my craft and one day being published. My current work is a sort of magical realism YA set in a world exactly like ours, but with healers. Sorry, I'm only about 30K into it, and haven't gone through the "let me figure out how to pitch this" phase yet, but do have a rough query I can pass your way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:12:57 PM by Moonim » Logged
Hrothmeir

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »

Hello! I too also would like to be considered.  I've written three complete novel-length MS, three short stories, and partials of three more novels.  I primarily work in adult sci-fi/thriller (more 20-min into the future than spaceships and aliens), but also have a YA contemporary that's nearing querying.   
GVonCarstein

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »

Figured I would update here: I've responded to those who expressed interest via PM on the site here. If anyone else is interested there are still spots open.

Thanks!
pipinglion

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »

Hi, I would be very interested in joining an active group. Although at present I just got a new computer that I will try to download skype. Right at this time I am currently writing a YA, epic fantasy that is well into ten volumes.  I am currently trying to get my act together to query my first book in this series.

I to belong to a writing group that meets once a week but there are so many writers attending I feel as if I am drowning. We read our work and only have a five minute discussion on things to improve our work. But I leave feeling empty. I would be very interested in submitting my work, if you'd have me.  I must warn you though, by tenses are off and I am told my punctuations really suck. Outside of the obvious I could really use the help.

I am very serious about improving my craft and one day being published. My current work is set in a medieval world five thousand year in our future. My main Character is a mute girl that is destrin to become a knight and bring magic back into the world. First book is little under 115,000 word. a bit long in the tooth.

Let me know if I pass muster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: