QueryTracker Community
September 26, 2018, 05:21:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police Procedure Opening Paragraph  (Read 875 times)
Neenah

« on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance for reading:)

On the evening of Monday, August 4th, nine days before the killing, Gayatri Bhardwaj had interrupted her philandering husband’s secret rendezvous with a woman half his age.  Now that the murder was approaching its first anniversary in four days, she regretfully comprehended that her accidental stumble across her husband’s adultery that day was a calculated act, efficiently planned, and effectively carried out.  This very act by the astute perpetrator had set the stage for the murder that day.       
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:40:00 PM by Neenah » Logged
samcantcook

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »

I think the premise is neat. Reminds me of GONE GIRL. But it I think it's bogged down with overwriting. The sentences are rather long and meandering and have multiple references to numbers and dates. Too many too soon, in my opinion.

On the evening of Monday, August 4th, nine days before the killing, Gayatri Bhardwaj had interrupted her philandering husband’s secret rendezvous with a woman half his age.  Now that the murder was approaching its first anniversary in four days, she regretfully comprehended that her accidental stumble across her husband’s adultery that day was a calculated act, efficiently planned, and effectively carried out.  This very act by the astute perpetrator had set the stage for the murder that day.

What about...

On the evening of Monday, August 4th, nNine days before the killing, Gayatri Bhardwaj had interrupted her philandering husband’s secret rendezvous with a woman half his age.
Neenah

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »

I know what you mean, and the way you explained, it becomes clearer and to the point. But the dates are important because 2nd and 3rd chapters have a few other occurrences that directly lead to murder. I might change it as you said, but want to see how agents respond. I have just started querying three days ago. And thanks so much for the feedback:)
jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »

I agree with samcantcook. All those date references are confusing as hell.

You understand them because you--well--you thought them up. But as a first-time reader, I would put this back and go to the next book on the shelf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: