QueryTracker Community
July 16, 2018, 03:35:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Synopsis for FEARLESS (erotic romance, but the synopsis is safe for work...)  (Read 1236 times)
Waterfall

« on: April 26, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »

Here's a synopsis for a manuscript I recently completed. I'd love to hear what you think.
_________

Colin and Katie independently sign up for Mutual Benefit, a “seeking arrangements” website. He’s 38, an engineer, divorced, signed up because he can’t figure out any other way to meet someone—he travels all the time, he’s a little shy. She's 24, about to start an MFA, former college athlete. She signed up because she needs the support for grad school, and won’t accept help from her wealthy aunt and uncle. (She was orphaned at 15, and doesn’t accept anybody’s help for anything.)

They meet, but even though they’re both immediately attracted, they’re too nervous to actually let each other know that, and the first date falls spectacularly apart. But the owner of Mutual Benefit intervenes, and they make a real connection on their second date.

Katie moves in with Colin for a what they claim is a trial month, but which becomes almost immediately and unreservedly passionate. They take turns being “the control freak,” discovering the areas where they need to be in charge and the areas in which they surprise themselves at being able to let go. They help each other learn how to trust, how to surrender when the other needs to lead. 

Just as they're discovering how strong their love is, though, the conservative suburban neighbors see them as a hazard, and begin to make their displeasure known through anonymous notes and behind-the-scenes organization. Katie defends herself from a neighborhood college boy who harasses her on the sidewalk, and even that self-defense becomes evidence of her instability and misfit to the staid “mommy Taliban” she’s encountered.

In the end, with the help of their friends next door (with their own secrets) and Katie’s aunt and uncle, Katie and Colin turn the tables on the offended neighborhood busybodies, making themselves into indispensable allies and community heroes instead of potential moral hazards.

HEA, of course.
samcantcook

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »

The setup is interesting, but there are several things I would need resolved to know for sure if I would stay with it.

(1) Does the identity of Mutual Benefit get revealed? Does he have a larger part in the story or is he there essentially as a plot to device: to get the two main characters together.
(2) The jump from "unreservedly passionate" to neighbors-chasing-down-couple-with-pitchforks jumped at me as undeserved. What exactly are Colin and Katie doing that spurs such dramatic, community action against them? Kissing in public, shagging in public, bondage in public? I mean, I feel like they would have to be engaging in some extreme behavior to get hunted down by the locals.

Otherwise, I dig it.
yqwertz

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:43 AM »

If this book is meant as comedy, it might work. People go to greater lengths to suspend their disbelief when reading comedy than when reading drama.

If this book is meant as a drama, then I would need to know more about the setting. Since you have the Internet, I'm guessing the time is the present. But in the present (unlike the '50s) it is acceptable (at least in the US) for unmarried couples to live together. The only places in the US where I can see this being a problem are the insular Amish communities that are not big on Internet, communities of recent immigrants who are not fully acclimated to American life and some tight knit protestant communities in small towns far from the population centers. I would have great difficulty believing that neighbors in a suburban setting would take notice or even care if they did.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: