QueryTracker Community
November 21, 2017, 01:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've been offered representation!  (Read 2815 times)
petmyrhino

« on: May 08, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »

My mind is completely blown!
We just talked on the phone. I am such a newbie that I know I came off as an idiot. At least he didn't rescind his offer. He's sending me a copy of his agency agreement.
Anyone have any advice about what next? Other than tell the other agents with copies of the manuscript that they have a few days to let me know the status of my work sort of thing.

How do I judge if he's the agent for me?

miawinter

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

Congrats!!!! clap Did you ask for clients to contact? Ideally speak to some clients with sold and unsold projects. Also, if you haven't already, look on Publishers Marketplace to see what kind of deals this agent is making. You'll want to see if they're selling to houses/imprints you'd think your book would be a good fit for. Also look for red flags, like selling to a lot to small pubs that take unagented submissions. Look them/the agency up on Absolute Write as well. If you can contact former clients who split with the agent, that's also very informative.

Keep in mind that if you're not 100% sure this agent is for you, you can always turn the offer down. Consider this before alerting agents who have your manuscript or recent query. Some will consider if an offer is in the table, but a sped up timeline often causes agents to step aside.

I hope this helped! I wish I had done some of these things before signing with my agent. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Rachael846

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:54:57 AM »

Hurray!

Everything miawinter said is what I would say. But also, it seems like the thing to do nowadays is notify all agents you've queried and haven't been rejected by yet, not just those who have the manuscript. You give them the same timeline, I did a week, and you won't hear back from some, but some will quickly either back out or ask for the full. I've seen agents complaining about people who don't do this a lot lately on Twitter. What I did was reply to my own query but changed the subject line to: "Offer of Representation: [original subject line]".

Also, read that agency agreement carefully. Google the things you don't understand or ask other author friends, or ask the agent. I sent my agent a billion questions about the legal-ese in the agency agreement before signing it.
Spat

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »

Congrats!  clap clap clap

Everything said here, plus ask for communication style, types of imprints he sees himself subbing your ms to, what happens if it doesn't sell (see if he's in it for the long haul and career), what happens to you if he leaves the business or the agency, chat about your other projects in the works to make sure he's interested in repping those, too (or at least agree as to why they wouldn't work for now).

I'd actually asked for 2 weeks because I had my ms out with over a dozen requests and a dozen other queries, and I personally needed those two weeks to dig deep into all of those agents and organize who I want over the over. Also, one week is very quick to reach some agents and get them to read. But that's your preference. Longer than two weeks is too long.

But definitely read the contract closely, ask all questions now, even small ones or ones you think are "dumb". Email him if something comes to mind. Chat with as many of his clients as possible. I even chatted with some who had left the agent to find out why. Weigh out what works for you and what doesn't. For example, all the clients to my former agent told me they had slow communication. But I knew agent had good sales and was enthusiastic. Make sure that you click over the phone. Sometimes an agent is perfect on paper but you can feel that it's not jiving when talking. Make sure that their revisions or edits or ideal path for you and your ms meshes with your own. DON'T SETTLE. DON'T COMPROMISE on things that are important to you. Go with your logic but also your gut.

Let us know what happens!!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »

Super congrats!

I don't have anything to add beyond what everyone else said.

Making a decision between multiple offers is really hard and you just kinda gotta figure it out for yourself. Decide what's important to you and which agent matches that the best.

And my agency agreement was only like 2 paragraphs, super easy to understand.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Kimberly-

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »

Congratulations! Party Flash
Tigerlily1066

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »

Woo hoo! Big congratulations! :D
TigerAsh

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:07:14 AM »

Congratulations!!  Grin Smiley cheer Dancing Banana dance
mgmystery

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

I'm late to this but Congratulations!

Yes, definitely talk to clients. Assure them you aren't looking to share their opinions with anyone and ask if there's anything they wish they knew before signing. It's also a good idea to ask the offering agent to give you the contact details of one or two of their clients who haven't sold yet to get a different perspective. Even the most successful agents don't make every sale.

I've heard many authors say they went with the agent who they connected best with on the phone. If you felt comfortable during the conversation, it's probably a good thing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: