QueryTracker Community
November 20, 2017, 07:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Story Cover Letter Help  (Read 1830 times)
FSHAW17

« on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »

As an unpublished author, I am unable to quote any previous publications. Any advice on what i can include in my cover letter for submitting short stories? My professional/educational background (Economics) won't be relevant either! Appreciate any help, and I do apologise if I've posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Sir Terry Pratchett
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »

Any conferences you've attended. Any relevant classes. Any writing forums you spend a lot of time on.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
JeanneG

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »

For most lit mags, previous publication credits rarely make a difference for getting your work accepted. They can point to a professional approach, but the most important thing is the writing itself. If you have no prior publishing credits, you can put in something personal, such as: XXX lives in Wonderful City, State, with her husband and 15 dogs, where she spends her free time working on her fabulous novel-in-progress.

*I'm being silly here, but you get the idea. Just include a tidbit about yourself that is interesting.

JeanneG

Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:14:41 AM »

My short story cover letters are usually a one sentence pitch, story info, and a short bio.

Dear {Editor's name}:

A burnt-out professor slouches home from the office to discover his computer has seized control of the house. It's written a heartbreaking work of staggering genius, and it wants a critique.

Inspiration 1.2 is an 1800 word speculative short story.

I have published {blah blah blah}

Thank you for your attention.

If you don't have much in the way of credentials, just leave it at the description and leave off the bio. They'll be judging your story based on its own merits regardless.

If the magazine is doing a specific call or is requesting something that your story specifically hits, mention that in the descriptor paragraph. But don't angst about the cover letter. With short pieces, they're going to look mostly at the story.

Sincerely,

Come visit my weblog!
AshK

ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »

Any conferences you've attended. Any relevant classes. Any writing forums you spend a lot of time on.

Plus the simple statement that you are a working writer makes for a good bio if you're not published yet.

Guidelines are important so read before submitting. Give them exactly what they want. With short fiction, some editors do not want a summary in the cover letter.

Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: