QueryTracker Community
November 22, 2017, 04:55:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With a Title  (Read 2900 times)
longknife

« on: June 17, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Now that the rights to my Father Serra’s Legacy has returned to me, I am going to republish them on Amazon.com.

I’ve already decided on a new title for Book One, changing from The Carpenter and the Sailor to The Englishman and The Majican (Indian?)

So, it’s now time to look at a new title for Book Two, The King’s Highway.

It is actually about exploring and laying out the route to be known as The King’s Highway. Exploration plays the biggest past of it.

Laying Out The King’s Highway is closer to describing the novel but Laying Out doesn’t feel right to me. So, how about Establishing The King’s Highway? Or Mapping Out The King’s Highway?

Here’s the long book description dreamed up by my previous publisher:

Timothy Beadle and Jaime the Cahita followed their beloved Father President Serra through the wastelands of Baja California. At his behest, they join Governor Portolá and Father Crespí north to explore the unknown lands of Upper California. Led by the stalwart Sergeant Ortega, the band encounters many obstacles but finally reach the place where Mission San Francisco de Asís will someday stand. Over the next 15 years, they toil to help Father President Serra establish nine missions and watch as the governors establish three military garrisons designed to hold back possible intrusion by Russian fur traders. They settle in the Carmel Valley and raise families while still doing everything possible to reach Father President Serra's goal of bringing The Word of God to the Native Americans he and his brother friars look upon as their children. All too soon the frail and ever-suffering Father President Serra passes. Disciples, neophytes, and soldiers come from all over California to pass before their beloved friar's grave and all wonder if the dream will be carried on.

I will, of course, cut it down to 25 or so words for the book blurb.

Appreciate your help.

A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com
Waterfall

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »

I agree that it seems to be a verb problem. What does one actually do to make a road? You "cut" or "blaze" or "clear" a trail... If the planning and exploring is more important than the building, then those are the better kinds of words.

I think that the word "out" slows the title in those options where it appears, feels more cerebral than active. Mapping the King's Highway feels more direct than Mapping Out the King's Highway, for instance. And the -ing or gerund form always feels a little distant. Build the King's Highway? Seek the King's Highway?

I have to say, though, that I'm kind of fond of the current title. The [Adjective] [Noun] has a long and respectable history. The Big Lebowski. The Great Gatsby. The Maltese Falcon. No harm to be in that company.

mgmystery

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »

Do you have to change the title? I agree that the original one has more impact. I was thinking something like Establishment: The King's Highway, but I don't really think it's better. I'll give it some thought and get back to you.
longknife

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:43:41 PM by longknife » Logged

A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: