QueryTracker Community
November 22, 2017, 04:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone deal with Cactus Moon Publications?  (Read 2180 times)
Classic Camp

« on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »

I am an acquaintance with someone who works with Cactus Moon Publications, so I talked with her and they asked to read my full manuscript. Of course, I haven't signed anything yet, and they haven't agreed to print anything yet, but I thought I'd just inquire if anyone ever dealt with them, or heard of them. They are supposed to be a fairly new small press. Any feedback good or bad is greatly appreciated. I've placed their link below.

http://www.cactusmoonpublishing.com/home.html
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »

Found this on Absolute Write:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?317808-Cactus-Moon-Publications&highlight=cactus+moon

Approach with caution.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »

absolute write is the best for finding any dirt on publishers

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Classic Camp

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »

I saw that thread on Absolute Write, but I think it is outdated. In fact, that's part of the reason I started this thread here. I don't see where the Cactus Moon website calls itself a "hybrid publisher" any more (if I missed it, please let me know), and in their FAQs, it states they do not ask writers for payment.
B

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »

I'm not so sure it's out of date, at least not when it comes to multiple imprints, almost zero information. No masthead, no history, and under FAQs they keep calling themselves indie but don't do much more than you could do yourself. Yes they say it goes through their editing process but without any information about their staff or editorial process...

Have you read and enjoyed their novels, or know someone who's been willing to talk about their experience?

Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Let Patience have her perfect work, that you would be perfect and entire, wanting nothing
Classic Camp

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »

No, that's why I was posting here, to try and find someone who has had experiences. Is what they do any different from what other small "indie" publishers do? I honestly have no idea.
skribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »

You know what I think one quick way might be to find out about how much success you'll have with an obscure publisher? Look for reviews of the books they've published, and who has reviewed them. Doesn't matter if you personally have never heard of the place or if they work out of a garage.  Ever heard of A Strange Object? It doesn't matter. It's a teensy publishing house in Austin TX, and their books have been reviewed by The Washington Post, The Paris Review, and NPR. What about Two Dollar Radio? They're in Columbus OH. They have books praised by The New York Times and The Guardian. These guys are tiny, but they're legit.

These are publishers of literary fiction, but you can do the same with genre publishers. If you've written sci fi or historical romance or YA, you ought to know where the best of those kinds of books are reviewed. And if none of the books a particular publisher is printing are reviewed, then in my mind you can't call them a publisher. They're just a printer. It doesn't even matter if they don't ask you to chip in for costs. If they can't get their books out into the public, they're not a publisher.

And by that standard, I would call Cactus Moon a printer, and nothing more.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »

You know what I think one quick way might be to find out about how much success you'll have with an obscure publisher? Look for reviews of the books they've published, and who has reviewed them.

Super smart

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: