QueryTracker Community
October 17, 2018, 05:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1671 times)
lewiswolf

« on: June 22, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

Hello,
I'm a new member and as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers as I write this.  I've finally completed the first draft of a novel I've worked on for many years.  I'm 80+ pages into a second.  I queried a number of agents using QT and received replies/rejections from all but one.  I feel fortunate to have received replies, even if they were just form letters.  I did receive one brief personalized reply from an agent that "the writing wasn't bad but the characters weren't edgy enough."  I have no idea what this means.  In addition I've written a series of memoir stories that I believe could turned into a book.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
GLZyx

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »

Hi Welcome Hi

I did receive one brief personalized reply from an agent that "the writing wasn't bad but the characters weren't edgy enough."  I have no idea what this means.

-------> head bang hmm cover Rollin
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »

hello lewiswolf..

I'd go out on a limb and say that "your characters aren't edgy enough" falls into the same category as "I couldn't connect with the characters".  ultimately he at least pointed you in the direction of what he felt you needed to change and that's something.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Voxeterna1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

Hello!

I am also a newbie querying a book for the first time, so I feel you pain. It's so hard to know what responses from agents truly mean. Thankfully, people on QT with more experience and knowledge than us seem willing to help. Best of luck to you!
~Bri 
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »

Hi and welcome!

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
McG

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »

Hello there!

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: