QueryTracker Community
July 28, 2017, 01:56:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does "Please submit your next manuscript" actually mean that?  (Read 352 times)
koji

« on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »

I had a nice rejection from an agent. Although it is probably a form rejection, it ends with "Should you find yourself with a new manuscript to query, I hope you'll keep me in mind." When an agent has this in their rejection, does it usually mean that they want you to submit your next work to them or are they just being nice. As in, maybe she has form A for people who she can tell she doesn't want to work with and form rejection for B for people whose work was up to par but just not quite a good fit? Or are agents more likely to tell everyone to keep them in mind for their next project?

I know, I am overthinking things, but don't we all?
mgmystery

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:39:03 AM »

In my experience, agents aren't likely to tell everyone to keep them in mind for the next project. One way you might be able to tell if this agent does it all the time is to check the comments on the main Querytracker site. Some authors mention what was in their rejections.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »

If this was off of a query, it's probably just part of her canned response.

Now, if it's off a full or partial rejection, then they absolutely mean it.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
koji

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »

Unfortunately this agent isn't on QT sad So no info there. I am leaning towards it is a canned response. But my next project is so far off from my first (A YA horror vs. MG feel-good fantasy) that I will probably looking for a whole new list of agents to query.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »

if they aren't on QT, please put a post up in the "add this agent" thread so we can vet them and get them on here.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
skribbler

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »

I can't imagine an agent not being serious when s/he asks to be kept in mind for the next submission unless s/he's very new and really hungry for clients. In fact, I can't imagine it even then, since even in the beginning, the amount of unsuitable material coming in is still huge.

Definitely take this agent up on the offer when you have another book, koji!
koji

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »

if they aren't on QT, please put a post up in the "add this agent" thread so we can vet them and get them on here.

So, I just found her today--- she is there (It was Lauren Spieller with Triada... for some reason she did not come up the other day when I searched her name, but she came up today when I searched for the agency. )

Turns out that is her standard rejection, it seems.
mgmystery

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 07:07:45 AM »

Triada's a big agency and Lauren has a pretty wide net of interests. I'd still keep her in mind for the next one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: