QueryTracker Community
November 22, 2017, 04:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formatting online conversation...  (Read 1449 times)
koji

« on: June 30, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »

My new work contains a lot of online conversations (chat rooms, pm, etc). I've been denoting them with italics. But I have a few pieces of inner dialogue I want to "think" which is traditionally denoted with italics.

So-

How do you denote online communication in your novels?
mgmystery

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »

Since italics are stripped by a lot of programs, I stopped using them for online talk. I'm writing MG so I'm only using text messages but I use <text here> to offset the messages.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »

I've been using justifications...   so sone person is left justified and the other is right justified...   gets stripped a lot though and then I need to work out spacing Etc. , in the end, it's totally up to you though.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Waterfall

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »

I've been using justifications...   so sone person is left justified and the other is right justified...

My last book had a fair amount of texting exchanges. I know that a publisher will do it however they want, but in Word, I did the following:

• Use 11pt sans serif (Helvetica) instead of 12pt serif (Garamond).
  • Format one speaker's text at the left margin, with the right margin set at about mid-page.
  • Format the other speaker's text at the right margin, with the left margin set at about mid-page.
  • Use the border tool to enclose each text block in a box.
  • Use the table formatting tool to change the background of each speaker's boxes to a slightly different color, to mimic texting bubbles.

The folks who've read it found that it communicates quickly and "natively" as a text message conversation.

I do similar things to designate e-mail, when that's the natural mode in which a character communicates something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: