QueryTracker Community
October 23, 2017, 02:39:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Social Media?  (Read 1146 times)
mgmystery

« on: July 10, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »

What is the best social media for building an author's platform? Do you think it's different for adult versus kidlit?
koji

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:43:58 AM »

I am pretty enthralled with twitter these days. Especially with pitchwars going on, it is very active with people in the publishing industry and I feel like it would be a great and easy way to manage a public face.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »

I personally think there is a lot of different factors that play into this.   The target audience is up there, but you also have to look at what you are comfortable with.

I suck at twitter.  I just don't get it, although Iknow how to pitch and throw my hat into those contests when they aren't on my Twitter presence is nearly non-existant.

Facebook is always good, as well as Instagram, youtube, twitch, vines, etc...   it's all just what you are good at and comfortable with.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Rachael846

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »

What is the best social media for building an author's platform? Do you think it's different for adult versus kidlit?
Regarding the difference between sm as an adult author versus kidlit, I think you have to remember that the younger your audience, the less likely they are to be on social media. So, that means, as an adult author, your social media presence can cater more toward actually interacting with your readers, whereas kidlit writers, especially middle grade and picture book writers, are going to be interacting more with the industry and people like educators and librarians. I've noticed some strain in the YA world, at least on Twitter, between authors and actual teens. Teens want to follow YA authors as fans and sometimes interact with them, but also YA authors are mainly adults, and teens don't always want adults getting into their social spaces.

I think you need to make a distinction between building an author platform (as in a way for you to interact with readers and for readers to follow news of your publishing career) and building a writing community for yourself (a way to interact with your writing friends and keep tract of the publishing community as a whole). For building a writing community, I think Twitter is where it's at. For a platform, I have no idea...probably the best bet is having a personal website that links to a social media presence that's more broad.
Tigerlily1066

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »

I'd say go where your audience is. For YA, that might be Twitter. For adult mystery/thriller, it's Facebook. For kid lit, I presume you'd primarily be trying to reach parents in a fun way. My daughter (age 7) reads middle grade material now, but she's not on any social media. She finds her books through: a) the library, b) the bookstore, and c) books that we buy her.

I've heard various industry professionals say Facebook is best for actually selling books, but this has become harder in recent years as Facebook now charges you $ to reach your followers.

What you can do as you are building your platform is to try putting your content out across various channels and seeing where you get engagement. For me, FB wins out over Twitter by about 20-1 so that's where I concentrate my efforts.

All this said, there's probably no substitute for building your own mailing list, which you own and which is dominated by your superfans. Twitter, Facebook and friends could all cease existence and then you'd be cut off from your followers/audience. If you own the mailing list, you can talk directly to your fans with no middleman. Smiley
gckatz

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

For YA, Twitter first, Instagram second, everything else a very distant third.

loose leaf

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »

Some good advice here.

In my opinion, the best platform is the one you feel most comfortable with. If you force yourself into something you're not really getting or feeling, it'll show, and you won't end up maintaining it.
mgmystery

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »

Thanks for all the advice. I write middle-grade, so I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should be to reach potential readers--or the gatekeepers who help them choose their books. Has anyone had any noticeable success reaching potential readers through any type of social media?
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

I just went to Google and typed in

"social media for middle grade authors"

and got a number of interesting-looking hits on social media for writers in general and mg in particular.

Not sure which ones you might find useful, so I'm simply recommending that search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: