QueryTracker Community
July 28, 2017, 01:57:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Close Out  (Read 2084 times)
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 06:36:09 AM »

Is there a club for writers who broke up with their agent(s) and decided enough was enough? I'll join that one. :-)  Thumbs Up

Come visit my weblog!
Spat

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »

Let's do it Tabris! Splitting with an agent is often times kept hush hush. You don't want others to think you're a failure, or a bad client, or ruin your rep for "bad-mouthing" agents (aka, speaking honestly about your experiences), etc. Not to mention the turmoil of emotions: depression, self-loathiing, anger, wondering if you're even a good writer, etc. Agents talk to one another in their networks about authors all the time, especially the "bad ones". We should be able to do the same without backlash. More importantly, simply for support. It's a difficult thing to go through, even if neither party were horrendous in or due to the split. There should be a private support group. Period. Remain anonymous if you want. Stay completely positive if you want. But a place where others have experienced this, learn from one another, lean on each other, know that you're not alone.  clap

haha. end rant.
mgmystery

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »

Ha! Great idea! Does it count if your agent broke up with you?
Spat

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

(hugs) Yes. All are welcomed!
miawinter

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »

Count me in  Smiley
skribbler

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »

I'd be in. There'd be so many stories among all of us!
dzolidis

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »

My first agent and I tried to sell four books together. Never sold one.

When she read my fifth book she told me, "I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that you've written a pretty good book, the bad news is that it has problems and I don't know how to fix them." So I said, "should I be looking for a new agent then?" And then she said yes.

It was scary to be back adrift after being repped for four years. But I figured I got an agent once, and I had only gotten better as a writer in those years (even though I had never sold a book), so I started querying at the top of the "YA recent sales" list for PW. Within two weeks I had a new agent, and two months after that I signed a two-book deal.

So hopefully things will work out for you too! But remember that overnight success sometimes takes years.
mgmystery

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »

Wow! Congrats, dzolidis! It's great that you found the perfect match so quickly the second time.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: