QueryTracker Community
September 23, 2017, 06:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks, Patrick and QT. . .  (Read 4843 times)
reallyrosie

Inspired by food, love, Shakespeare, and the shore

« on: November 14, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »

for taking me up on this suggestion! (And so quickly, too.)

So I'll put mine out there first--Book One went out on submission in January, got lots of "encouraging" rejections, but no bites. And frankly, it's not looking good for my first literary child. I finished my first draft of Book Two in August and my agent has asked for lots of changes, which are going slooowly. Hoping to have it in shape for subs for the first of the year.

But the market is tough right now for humorous women's fiction, since so many editors tend to read it as chick lit, aka The Label of Doom. But I happen to really love light and funny, though I'm questioning my direction right now given the market.

So that's where I am. What about the rest of you out there? (Don't make me call you out!)

rr

Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »

Thank you Rose, and good luck.

Kimmy

My newest book!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »

Rosie, check out Jennifer Lancaster if you havent yet.  She writes funny memoirs.  See who her agent and publisher are.  She has a website, jennsylvania.com.  She is also on facebook and myspace.  Her first book is called Bitter is the New Black and its hysterical, as are all her books.  Maybe her info can point you in the right direction!  Good luck.

Kimmy Smiley

Triangles--YA Spec Fiction--Spencer Hill Press, June 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, September 2016
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller
newday11

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:59:28 AM »

Angry

I was all excited to receive this from a publisher last night, but...

Dear Lee McCaslin, Sorry for our delayed response, but, for some reason, your email went to our Spam box. We invite you to send us a complete proposal or the full manuscript if you have it ready. If you find it convenient, you may upload it at www.algora.com/manuscript/index.html; or mail it to Algora Publishing. Best regards, Martin DeMers Algora Publishing

But from P&E, I learned:  Algora Publishing: Poor contract. Not recommended. A publisher.

Oh well!    newday11

SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR. In the Libraries of West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Pentagon, FBI Academy, DIA, Yale, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Rice, Alabama, Lancashire Library Service, Derbyshire Libraries, Dorset County Libraries,The Heidelberg American Regional and many more.
reallyrosie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:33:26 AM »

Kimmy,
I checked out Lancaster early on when I started querying agents (in fact, her agent asked for my full but then dropped off the face of the earth). For now I'm counting on my agent to find markets that are willing to go with light fiction. I was at a panel discussion yesterday that included Stephany Evans of Fine Print--she's actively looking for chick lit, so maybe there's hope for a turn around.

Lee,

As my mom says, things happen for a reason. You escaped!

rr
Molly Z

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

Rosie -

I write humorous women's fiction too, but with college age characters so it's been tricky to label it.  Is it YA? Is it adult?  I jokingly call it "college lit" and my agent loved that idea and is marketing it as that (though it's currently being submitted as YA).  It's been on submission since September and, like you, I refuse to call it 'chick lit' because so many see it as the label of doom.  It's a romantic comedy -- not chick lit.   Grin

Lucky for me, St Martin's Press is opening a new older YA/"new adult" imprint for books that appeal to 18-22 demographic so I think it has a really good shot at being picked up by them.  Another editor from a different St Martin's Press imprint contacted my agent and asked for it directly (always a good sign when they come to you), so that's a promising lead too. 

ElanaJ

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »

Thanks Rosie, for sharing! And TG and Molly! This is a great thread!  Thumbs Up

My trilogy is complete! POSSESSION, SURRENDER, ABANDON, and short stories REGRET and RESIST, are available now wherever books are sold.

My next novel, a YA contemporary novel, ELEVATED, is coming on February 18, 2014.

Visit my blog: http://elanajohnson.blogspot.com
gypsygurl
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »

Molly! I was so excited reading your post because my FIRST thought was the St. Martin's thing lol Glad you'd heard about it too! Good luck!

Rosie, this was an awesome idea! I signed with my agent in late Feb and we received a nibble, an editor who wanted rewrites. I'll be the first to say my novel needed "something" but I (with my agent's help) had taken it as far as it could go. Or so I thought. This editor pointed out that my story started too late, so I dove back in, added 100 pages and a TON of character developement and world building in those. Right now the editor has my book again, and we're waiting for an answer. Even if she says no, this whole situation was a win to me. My book is so much stronger and finally FEELS like it's right! So we'll see where it goes!

Check out the first chapters of Vial Things on Instafreebie! https://www.instafreebie.com/free/zyCB8

Repped by Rosemary Stimola
ChristineF

Ahhh Aydan!

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

GG - awesome! Rosie - What a great thread!!! 

I have been with my agent since August.  My Nonfiction parenting book is in a VERY SMALL niche (a niche that sells well, but only a couple of publishers).  Fortunately, my agent is very good at what she does and I signed a publishing contract last week.  Now I am prepping my next proposal for another NF book and my agent is hoping to get it on submission ASAP (my sample chapters are taking  while). 

And, my favorite part, I emailed my agent last week asking if she wanted to take a look at my YA fiction once it is polished.  She promptly emailed back with a resounding "yes" and added that she is definitely looking at it with an eye to rep it...so yeah, I am busy, busy, busy.  And so darn thankful for having found my agent.  I really owe QT for all of it!

Molly Z

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

GypsyGurl -

My manuscript is with the editor of the new SMP imprint right now but, apparently, she's overwhelmed with submissions since the word got out, so I don't know when to expect any sort of answer from her.  I was really excited when I heard about it too.  It's exactly what I write.

Good luck with the resubmit to the editor.  I hope it works out and, if not, he/she gave you invaluable advice and that will help you/your agent find a home for it.

Molly Z

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »

I have been with my agent since August.  My Nonfiction parenting book is in a VERY SMALL niche (a niche that sells well, but only a couple of publishers).  Fortunately, my agent is very good at what she does and I signed a publishing contract last week.  Now I am prepping my next proposal for another NF book and my agent is hoping to get it on submission ASAP (my sample chapters are taking  while). 

And, my favorite part, I emailed my agent last week asking if she wanted to take a look at my YA fiction once it is polished.  She promptly emailed back with a resounding "yes" and added that she is definitely looking at it with an eye to rep it...so yeah, I am busy, busy, busy.  And so darn thankful for having found my agent.  I really owe QT for all of it!

Great news, Christine!   Thumbs Up for the NF contract and I hope your 2nd NF sells as quickly too.  Good luck with your YA fiction. 

Zooks

www.MaryVettel.com

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »

Great idea for a topic.   clap  I hope to be able to post here soon - re: landing an agent.
I also write humorous fiction and my WIP is geared to older women - Baby Boomers are a huge demographic and, being one myself, don't always want to read about 20- or 30-somethings who have not been affected by time/gravity yet. Boomer Lit?

NOOKS & GRANNIES - quirky paranormal
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE -  YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY AND HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM - MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Fiction - Published - available on Amazon
MOTORCYCLE BABIES - YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE - fiction
reallyrosie

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »

Zooks,

My agent actually suggested upping the age of my protag of Book 2, to move it from chick lit to--you should excuse the expression--"lady lit." She seemed to think we'd have a better shot and I was happy to nudge her age closer to 40. (Being a lady of a certain age myself. . .)

rr

AshK

ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »

All this Label of Doom stuff is making me think I need to build a Panic Room. Oh wait. I have one. It's called my office.  Cry

I wonder if there's such a genre as "I'm almost forty but my brain is stuck on nineteen" Lit.

Maybe we such just market our stuff as "Female Protag" and attach the smiley-face pain scale they keep in doctor offices for kids in order to determine the gauge of humor. Bottom end is literary. *wink*

sad Roll Eyes confused Smiley Grin rofl Hooray

Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: