QueryTracker Community
July 28, 2017, 01:55:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have folks waited for agent's notes?  (Read 312 times)
skribbler

« on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

I think I know the answer to this. I finally got my agent in May after more than a year of looking for one. She was very excited about my quirky not-for-everyone literary fiction manuscript. She really wants me. But she said she wouldn't be able to turn to it to make notes and discuss what to do to get the book in shape for submission before the "both of June," a typo I spent weeks trying to guess at rather than just annoyingly ask her what she meant. I'd decided it would be best to assume 4th of July would be the soonest she'd be able to look at it. I got impatient, though, about 6/20 or so and did ask if it was possible we could discuss it by the 4th, since summer is my slow time at work and most ideal time to work on re-write. Ever since, we've been making appointments week by week to discuss, which every time she's had to break because she isn't ready.

Please tell me she isn't a flake, she just has a lot on her plate (she's the name agent at her firm), and I need to simply work on my second book while I'm waiting on her notes/edits. Would love, though, to hear from others who've lived through slow starts with their agents. Especially if the story ended happily.
Rachael846

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »

Well, it took a little over two months to get my edit letter, but...that's exactly how long she told me it would take even before I officially signed with her. So...
skribbler

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »

Exactly what I needed to hear, Rachael. Thanks.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »

I mean, for me it's like a week or two.

But those aren't, like, edit notes but instead "I've read it, let's talk strategy" sort of thing and then we proceed from there.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Rachael846

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »

And in my case it was edits and comments in the manuscript and a 3 page edit letter.
skribbler

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

I kind of think this is going to be notes and edits, or at least an informed conversation in more depth than our initial one. I stopped pinning her down for an appointment, which I think had her feeling cornered, and just said I looked forward to talking when she was ready.

On the bright side, we got a puppy this weekend, which is so much work I've pretty much forgotten all about my book. (And day job, which could be a bigger problem than the slow agent.)
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »

I got a puppy a few weeks ago! And yes, they do wonders for keeping your mind of the stressful authoring business!

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
skribbler

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »

Frankly, I haven't been this stressed out since my son was born 21 years ago. But like him, I'm hoping the puppy gets indepen . . .   Shoot. That hasn't even happened to my son yet.

Anyway, it's going to make re-writing after notes a walk in the park.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: