QueryTracker Community
December 18, 2017, 02:37:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have folks waited for agent's notes?  (Read 4856 times)
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

If two weeks pass and you don't get your response, what are the consequences? Think about it now so you know what you'll do and won't just cave and give her another two weeks.

Come visit my weblog!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »

Let us know how it goes

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
skribbler

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »

I've been thinking about consequences for a while.

She's a major player, and I know she's always up to her gills in work. She represents a good friend who's had phenomenal success with her but admits she can't organize her way out of a paper bag. In her defense, I'll say she e-mails me back immediately every time I contact her. I mean within the hour.

When she misses the next deadline, I'll call her and we'll talk. She's been available to talk both times I've called in the last four months, and my impression remains that the problem is 60% how busy she is, 35% how disorganized she is, and maybe 5% some BS.

One option I don't have is walking away to another agent. My book is definitely an acquired taste. This person is the first agent of dozens, and over a decade, who has loved it without qualification, and the only one to offer to rep. If I walk away, I'm walking away without other offers.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »

I mean, my agent is a mega player, too, but she still gets my stuff back to me on time (sooner than I usually expect, actually.)

Hopefully she'll get back to you this time and this will just be a small bump in the road of better time management going forward

Author Website
skribbler

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »

Yeah, Sarah, the first agent who took me was much, much better at the day-to-day. We parted when I didn't write the book she was hoping I'd write, which led to three years in the wilderness. If I'd just written that book, my second one would probably be in some publisher's catalog by now.
nycgirl

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

My agent takes about 2 months, but my MS comes back HEAVILY marked up with a detailed editorial letter. The wait's hard, but it's always worth it!
skribbler

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

I know should wait until I get the package before crying with relief - and before telling you all - but out of the blue, got this quick e-mail this morning:

"i am so sorry but i am finally done. Please confirm the correct address and the work will go in the mail today."

What was that? Five months? Well, she never disappeared. Always answered e-mails the same day. Just kept promising quicker turnaround than she could do.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

Well, I'm glad you've heard from her and are getting your stuff. If it happens again, though, I think you should still consider having a talk.

Author Website
Terri_Martin

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »

I know should wait until I get the package before crying with relief - and before telling you all - but out of the blue, got this quick e-mail this morning:

"i am so sorry but i am finally done. Please confirm the correct address and the work will go in the mail today."

What was that? Five months? Well, she never disappeared. Always answered e-mails the same day. Just kept promising quicker turnaround than she could do.

So did the package go in the mail as promised?
MaryL

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »

"The agent works for YOU. The agent works for YOU. The agent works for YOU." That's my mantra. It's time for a phone call. An amicable, professional phone call with the person who represents work on your behalf. Hopefully, it's merely a communication issue.

I write YA for Penguin USA and romance for Entangled Publishing.
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marylindsey.com  and  http://www.marissaclarke.com
skribbler

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »

Sorry not to have followed up, folks. I've been deep in re-writes. Yes, ms arrived. Well thought out 3-page cover with, for the most part, good ideas. Line edits not so much, which I've decided means only that she's not one of the editor/agents one hears tell about. She knows what works for her, knows what doesn't. She's good at giving general direction, not as strong with specifics.

I'm going to try to have a new draft to her by springtime. Realistically, I don't see it happening sooner, and it may be later.

And then . . . I don't know. I can hope she doesn't hold it another five months herself? I can hope.

Here's to a book finally published not long after I retire!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »

If she holds it that long again, you need to have a talk with her. And maybe think about finding new rep

Author Website
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: