Author Topic: LinkedIn  (Read 4707 times)

Offline mgmystery

LinkedIn
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
Is anyone here active on Linked In? Is it particularly useful to authors?

Offline jldelozier

• Author website
Re: LinkedIn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:58:51 AM »
I use it rarely and find it annoying. That said, I do frequently get messages from prior colleagues/coworkers, so it has some value. If your time is very limited, I would choose Facebook over LinkedIn every time.
Jen

Storm Shelter, Type & Cross, Blood Type X, Con Me Once

Offline mgmystery

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
Thanks, jldelozier. It's nice to cross something off the list  :)

Offline Thanksgiving400

• FB Page
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
I can say I've found success since I haven't started my promotion yet, but I see one advantage of LinkedIn- it's little easier to target people you want to reach because there is generally more info available. I will still use Facebook as a primary tool, but with a book related to history I like the idea I can search for and connect with people who may be interested- historians, teachers, societies, etc.  with Facebooo you generally reach people through groups or try to get them to like your page the communicate with them, with linked in I can connect on a more targeted approach.

They are different enough that I plan to try to manage both.

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
LinkedIn has a much more narrow focus (business and professional, resume-type stuff) than Facebook. It's good for job-hunting and for looking up colleagues in your field for work. Or even the person who might be interviewing you. Many literary agents also have LinkedIn pages.

On LinkedIn, I found very useful detailed information and background on local viola instructor I first located in Kijiji (Canada's version of E-Bay). The Kijiji posting was merely something like "experienced violin instructor offering lessons."

LinkedIn, if you're interested simply in the professional background of someone, is far, far less cluttered than FB. You don't have to trudge through a thousand selfies, family photos, etc. And you don't have to make all your personal stuff on FB visible to people you may want to see only your professional information.

By the way, the FB page I intend only for family and close friends has a very altered first and last name that I hope won't be recognizable to literary agents or others I don't want to share those personal things with.

I plan to make a FB page for things related only to my writing.