QueryTracker Community
November 21, 2017, 03:12:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Rejection Letter  (Read 2716 times)
Dreamcatcher21

« on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »

I just received my first rejection letter. I'm not disappointed by this. In fact, I am really proud of this letter as it is evidence that I'm pursuing my dreams. What kind of author doesn't get rejected anyway? 

The publisher said that my novel shows great promise and that they want to send over some constructive notes for me. I consider this an honor and a step in the right direction. I guess I am just confused as to why they would say this and invest in the time to make notes for me on it, but have decided to pass. Anyone else experience something like this before?
gushags16

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »

It sounds a lot like an agent Revise and Resubmit to me. They may not have said it explicitly, but if you get notes from them, agree with them, and then make the revisions, I don't see why you couldn't respectfully resubmit it to them. Especially if you like the publisher.

"Thanks so much for taking the time to give me feedback on MY NOVEL. I agreed with much of your input and have extensively revised the book. If you are interested in reviewing it again, I have attached it" or something similar. The worst that can happen is that they ignore you. The best is that they publish you.

Regardless, getting feedback from a publisher or agent is a coup. Congrats. They're very busy, so if they take time to give you notes you're doing something right.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

I guess I am just confused as to why they would say this and invest in the time to make notes for me on it, but have decided to pass.

It's called being nice. ;) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
skribbler

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »

What Sarah said. This isn't as uncommon as you'd guess with stuff that just misses the mark. Though I wouldn't necessarily take it as an invitation to resubmit unless they explicitly asked you to.
gushags16

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

Though I wouldn't necessarily take it as an invitation to resubmit unless they explicitly asked you to.

I guess I disagree with this. I wouldn't make a few changes and re-submit next week. That would tell me you hadn't really thought about their notes. But if you honestly agreed with their feedback, took the time to make careful changes, and made the book better, I don't see why you wouldn't resubmit.

I think we can put these guys on too high of a pedestal. I'm not saying to badger the publisher, but there is already an email chain and the publisher has already liked the book enough to give advice. So there are three possible responses:

1. Radio silence
2. No
3. Party time.

Not resubmitting is self-rejecting in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: