QueryTracker Community
October 23, 2017, 02:53:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 1192 times)
Dreamcatcher21

« on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

How long should my synopsis be?
How should I construct it?
What should I leave out?
Custodian

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »

I'm working on my synopsis right now too and found it really hard to get started. This is by far the most helpful resource I have come across http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/04/17/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis/, hopefully you find it helpful too.

In terms of length, 1 page (500 words) seems to be standard, but check the specifications of the agents you're submitting to.

Jane Friedman also has a helpful post on writing a synopsis. It includes links to other sites (along with the first one I mentioned) https://janefriedman.com/how-to-write-a-novel-synopsis/

Best of luck  Smiley
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »

here's what I found has worked for me in the past.

for lengths 1 page is the norm but you will also occasionally see people ask for 2 page or even 5 page, and you don't want to just have a 1 page when someone is giving you 5 page to work with.

When I set about making my Synopsis I set out to do it backwards from most and it seemed to work for me.

first just write a synopsis in the order of the book from start to finish, don't worry about word count or any of the above, just write it out.  Once you have that Shorten it to a 5 page or maybe 3 page length.  Then a 2 page length, and then do it one more time for your 1 page length.  Keep them all, that way you have them in the take for the one time out of 20 someone asks for something unusual.

it's a whole lot easier to condense a 2 page synopsis to a 1 page synopsis than it is to take a 10 page one and make it 1 page.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: