QueryTracker Community
October 23, 2017, 02:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: making up new words  (Read 1486 times)
jldelozier

« on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »

Anyone ever made up a new word, or modified an existing word, to meet their needs, and if so, what was your editor's response? Did it survive the slash-and-burn? For some reason, in my current WIP, I found myself creating one new word and modifying another, changing it from an adjective to a non-existent verb form: "He groaned, ran a shaking hand through his hair, and herkey-jerked his way around the room in a random fashion." It seem so concise and descriptive (as opposed to: "he moved around the room herkey-jerkey") that I hate to kill my darling.

Any thoughts on this practice?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

I've done it. My editor slashes it out and I put it back in.

As long as it's totally understandable in context, leave it as-is. That's how new words get invented.

Come visit my weblog!
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »

Groot: I am Groot.
Peter Quill: Well that's just as fascinating as the first 89 times you told me that. What is wrong with Giving Tree here?
Rocket Raccoon: Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to "I" and "am" and "Groot," exclusively in that order.
Peter Quill: Well I tell you what, that's gonna wear real thin, real fast, bud.

Come visit my weblog!
jldelozier

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »

Rocket Raccoon: Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics...
Grin
I saw the movie, but I must've missed that one. Nice. And thanks for the response.
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »

Rocket Raccoon: Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics...
Grin
I saw the movie, but I must've missed that one. Nice. And thanks for the response.

It's when they're being checked into the prison. There's a lot of infodumping going on while some hilarious stuff is taking place on screen to keep you interested. The whole technique in that sequence is amazing.

Come visit my weblog!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »

I say leave it in. The meaning is clear, and it's clever and brings voice to the sentence.

If your editor wants to cut it, then you just have a conversation with them.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »

Press on, friend, with any new words or word combos that fit your story.

Some day we'll find web pages on your neologisms like this page on words we got from Lewis Carroll:

https://jeanfischer.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/modern-words-that-came-from-lewis-carrolls-jabberwocky/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: