QueryTracker Community
November 21, 2017, 11:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etiquette question?  (Read 1720 times)
maryj59

« on: September 01, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »

Hi! I was not sure where to post this question; please do let me know if there's a more appropriate place. Anyway--

When you've posted some of your writing and invited fellow members to comment, and they have kindly done so, you may rewrite. Should you post your rewritten query/chapter/pages in the same thread? Or should you start a new post with the revised query or pages?

I'm asking this because I recently revised a chapter after some comments from members, and absolutely no one (as far as I can tell) has looked at or responded to the revised version.

Thanks, Patrick, for running a wonderfully helpful site. And happy Labor Day to all who celebrate.
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »

What works for me is:

•  Append the revised version to the end of the original thread, and note the reply number.

•  Go to your original post, select Update, and modify the title to something like, "MY SUCH-AND-SUCH QUERY, REVISED @ #, and include that reply number.

I may not have the terms exactly right, but that's the process. It lets critiquers know that you have a new version, but it retains the original so new critiquers can follow what's gone before.
maryj59

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »

Thanks a lot! I have not been changing the title, as you suggest, and I guess that's why most readers wouldn't know there have been any changes. Karma!
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »

Longer writing samples, like the full Chapter 1, generally get a lot fewer replies than shorter ones. I noticed that just from looking at the list of Chapter 1 posts. It's probably because people may assume you're looking for a line-by-line commentary and may not have the time/willingness to do that for something that goes on for pages, compared to a query.

For a longer writing sample, I often encourage overall content questions (tone, pacing, character, whatever), rather than a L-B-L, or I let people know a general observation or two would be appreciated, even if they don't have time for detailed editing suggestions.

Also, getting no response on a new post for several days is not unusual, especially with a holiday weekend coming up and people turning their attention to that.
maryj59

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »

Thanks again! You're quite right. I should have noted that I didn't expect line-by-line critique, though, of course, I'm always grateful for help.

I'll be interested to see more of yours when you have it.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: