QueryTracker Community
September 20, 2017, 10:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Format for Non-Fiction Book Proposal?  (Read 137 times)
slightlysmall

« on: September 13, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

Hey all!

I'm editing a proposal for a client of mine and I want to make sure it meets formatting guidelines for how it will actually be emailed to agents and/or publishers. A quick Google search told me what to include (which I already knew...) but not how to format it. Anyone know of a resource offhand?

Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »

Here's a template posted by  literary agent Ted Weinstein:

https://www.twliterary.com/bookproposal/

slightlysmall

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »

Thanks, Munley! That's a super straightforward and helpful link detailing what to include, but it still lacks formatting instructions.

Do you (or does anyone) know if it should be all double-spaced like a manuscript, or if the parts before the sample chapters should be formatted like a query (single-spaced paragraphs with space between)? My client currently has the whole thing formatted the latter way, when it seems the former makes more sense if sent as an attachment...

Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »

I would assume that's the case? But yeah, I really have no idea

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
slightlysmall

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »

I think I'll just format the proposal like a query and the sample like a manuscript for now. Oh well; he hired me for line editing, not formatting, so I probably should stop worrying about it.

Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »

I typed in "sample non-fiction book proposal" in Google.

Got one .pdf that has some specific formatting notes. It seems that only certain sections, such as the sample chapters, are double-spaced. Otherwise, they are single-spaced.

http://speakupconference.com/wp-content/uploads/NonFictionProposalTemplate.pdf

This site also suggest checking on formatting guidelines that may be specified by the agency/publisher you want to submit to.
slightlysmall

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »

You are a much better Googler than I am today, Munley. I tried lots of combos, but never thought to include Sample. This is super helpful. Thank you!

Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »

You're welcome. I just happen to be obsessively tenacious when I'm convinced that what I'm looking for is out there somewhere. Combine that with a rather odd savant trait I have, something I think of as my "collating mind" that automatically recognizes even the minutest common thread among things that appear to be hopelessly disparate to most people.

This chance combination landed me a job as a university reference librarian, even though I had no library degree. The other librarians would stockpile "stumpers" on my nights off and leave them for me to solve when I got there. It was great fun.

I'm not bragging, since I've done nothing to gain or develop this "skill." My brain just automatically works that way, especially when the object of the quest has anything to do with language.
slightlysmall

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »

You're welcome. I just happen to be obsessively tenacious when I'm convinced that what I'm looking for is out there somewhere. Combine that with a rather odd savant trait I have, something I think of as my "collating mind" that automatically recognizes even the minutest common thread among things that appear to be hopelessly disparate to most people.

This chance combination landed me a job as a university reference librarian, even though I had no library degree. The other librarians would stockpile "stumpers" on my nights off and leave them for me to solve when I got there. It was great fun.

I'm not bragging, since I've done nothing to gain or develop this "skill." My brain just automatically works that way, especially when the object of the quest has anything to do with language.

I appreciate it. Smiley I'm usually that way, but I marathon-edited 55,000 words in three days for a client where my main focus was deletion, and I was entirely brain-dead yesterday (and much of Wednesday). There really is something to that thrill of the chase, huh. It's such a great feeling when you find the answer. (It's how I became a Word formatting expert—solving formatting conundrums for co-workers. In the beginning, I did a lot of Googling.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: