Author Topic: Where to find crit mates and betas?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline koji

Where to find crit mates and betas?
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
Hey all. I will be looking for a crit partner and/or beta readers for my YA soon. It is a pretty dark/twisted psychological thriller about suicide clubs and cyber bullying.

I am not sure where to look for crit partners for this type of work. Before I have found crit groups on scribophile and through pitch wars. But looking for something more long term and in YA (before I was in MG).

Offline Curious Author

Re: Where to find crit mates and betas?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »
Is there an SCBWI in your area? They host Lit Mingles and sometimes critique groups.

Offline koji

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:28 PM »
Nope. I am in Bulgaria, and the closest to me seems to be in central Europe. I haven't found any writer groups in the country, and if I did they would likely be in Bulgarian, so I am looking for online resources :)

But thank you for the suggestion.

Offline mgmystery

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:02 AM »
This is the first thing that came from a Google search. https://thewritelife.com/find-a-critique-partner/ The article is from 2015, and obviously, not everything will be a match, but there's 40 choices to get you started!

Offline koji

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
Awesome. Anything on the list that you particularly like/have experience with? I am on scribophile already, so not looking for another anonymous crit site (those are great for some things, though).

Either way, I'll comb through the list and see if anything matches me, but I would love to hear people's success stories of finding crit partners they click with and how that happened.

Offline Curious Author

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »
SCBWI also has forums for members. You could post there looking for critique partners that you could work with digitally.

Offline mgmystery

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
Sorry, but I don't have experience with them. I was lucky enough to find my crit group when  member posted on a forum that's no longer active. If I were you, I'd start at the top and browse some of the forums. Then post in the one you think is the best fit. Oh, and you don't have to be a SCBWI member to join their forum.

Also, I'm not a Twitter person, but their might be some hashtags you could use to call out to other authors searching for crit groups.

Offline koji

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the ideas so far. Right now I just submitted to cpmatch, so I am hoping something pans out there. Otherwise- I'll keep on trying :)