QueryTracker Community
January 23, 2018, 05:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silence on Full Manuscript  (Read 2002 times)
drose

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 04:13:00 AM »

Finally got an answer yesterday on the oldest full out and it was a no. Had a pretty bad writer day yesterday
In terms of rejection; a partial, a query from 4 months ago (already closed as CNR) and finally this full reject late last night. I'm pretty resilient and I love my book but I am getting worn down and kind of losing hope this will happen for me.  4 fulls out still with the most recent only a few days ago, have another WIP going.....but *sigh*
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »

Just keep working on your WIP.

Even if every agent says no on your manuscript, that just means no for now. It's not no forever.

My first manuscript had 17 fulls and they were all nos. Same with my second. But my third one got 7 offers of rep. So just keep going.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
mgmystery

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »

Eat some chocolate- or ice cream- or pie...or all of those things  Grin and celebrate the fulls you have out. Honestly, I think you have a query rate. You just haven't found the right one yet.

Wow, Sarah, that's must have been heartbreaking to have 17 without an offer! I've had requests, but not that many. (I'm drafting my third now, so maybe third time will be a charm for me too  Smiley)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:13:36 AM by mgmystery » Logged
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »

It was definitely a lesson I learned! ;)

My first query I sent got a full request after only a few hours. That was the most excited I've ever been. Even more excited than when I got my book deal.

Of course, it was a also my very first rejection, too (he rejected it in a few days, before I even got any query rejections.)

But I knew it meant I was doing something right and just had to keep going.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
drose

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:37:41 AM »

MG and Sarah, thank you very much for your support. Pity party is over now (my poor husband - he puts up wit a LOT). I still have 4 out and a bunch more queries, too. Decided to do a little more digging to see what one of the publishers has out now and turns out one of the comps that fits beautifully is repped by one of the agents that has the full. While this doesn't mean she will go for mine, I'm changing the query to include this comp and reflect this is new on the publisher's list.

There are two projects I'm see sawing between pursuing next. First draft and more completed on one, more excited about the idea with the other. I'll probably write a few chapters to get it out of my system at least, take notes and see where it goes.

In any case, forward motion.

Endless thanks. Better than the new "text a shrink" app.
skribbler

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »

Wait.

There's a "text a shrink" app?
debbie.rosenberg58

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »

It's a thing:

https://www.today.com/money/text-therapy-if-your-smartphone-charged-shrink-t4091
skribbler

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »

If I wasn't depressed, I am now.

But back to the topic . . . Good luck, drose, with the stuff still out with agents. And give my best to your husband.
drose

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »

So.....

Got a form rejection on one of the fulls out for months. I expected this and sent out a batch of new queries which got me another full in a matter of minutes. It was so fast, I thought the reply was auto to confirm receipt.

However, I'm sweating now because I sent a message along with the full that several other agents were considering the manuscript. I thought this was only fair in the event she does offer. Then I read not to do this unless the agent asks.

I hope this was not a major mistake and the agent is thinking: why bother?

Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »

No, the agent won't think "why bother." The agent will know the industry guidelines and that there's some confusion about whether you're supposed to say that or not.

Agents are supposed to assume that anything they thought good enough to request has been requested by several others.  Grin If they don't want to compete with other agents for the good talent, they'll ask for exclusive queries.

Come visit my weblog!
debbie.rosenberg58

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »

Thank you, Tabris! It's so easy to get obsessive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: