QueryTracker Community
November 21, 2017, 03:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JANE FRIEDMAN - Website Versus Social Media  (Read 735 times)
MichelleG

« on: September 25, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »

I haven’t been on Querytracker all summer, no reason, just busy.  I was delighted to see there was a new category.

An Author’s Platform – yikes, as if writing a novel and getting it right wasn’t stressful enough. Where does an unknown author begin? The great advice – find what works for you.  Wow, so I should try everything and see what sticks when I really don’t want to try any of it. But that’s what I did. So far I have a presence on Pinterest, Facebook, Google + and Linkedin.  Except chatting in a few groups on Facebook, I don’t really enjoy most of it. 

On the other hand, I started a website and find that to be truly enjoyable.  I wrote a post on my site about the 5 Reasons I Love My Website. http://michellegwynnjones.com/5-reasons-i-love-my-website/  But I have worried that I am doing me and my platform a disservice spending my time on my website as opposed to Social Media, but then I found a post that gave me confidence to continue in the way I am most comfortable with – my website.

Jane Friedman, as far as I am concerned, is one of those great publishing guru. Recently she posted her thoughts on Website versus Social Media for authors. To quote Ms. Friedman, “So I want to make a case for why investing more time in an author website—focusing more on this aspect of your platform, branding, and overall messaging—could have a lasting impact on your brand and reach.”
You can read her whole post here - https://www.janefriedman.com/whats-important-author-websites-social-media/

While I am sure there are some here, and in the publishing industry, who would disagree with Ms. Friedman, I was thrilled to read her post.

What are your thoughts on the Website versus Social Media debate?  Have you started working on your platform? 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:53:43 PM by MichelleG » Logged

"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
gckatz

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »

I'm 100% pro-social media. My social media has about 60x as much traffic as my website. I have never visited most of my favorite authors' websites, and when I have, it's been for one of two reasons: a) I was looking for design ideas for my own website or b) I couldn't find them on social media. Yes, you need a website, but IMO it needs to be a landing page and not much more.

Friedman's argument doesn't make sense to me. She prefers websites to social media for organic discoverability...but you have to be specifically looking for the author, their book, or at least the book's topic in order to find the site (and even then, you have to fight ). For instance, I specifically keep tabs on upcoming YA historicals, but Glow by Megan Bryant completely caught me by surprise. I would love a YA book about the Radium Girls...but I would never have known to look for it. As it happens, Megan Bryant has a perfectly professional website...but no social media presence.

On the other hand, a viral social media post puts you in front of thousands of people who had no idea they might be interested in you or your book. I picked up dozens of potential readers with pictures of Arthur and Merlin as little girls.

A website can be useful for directing people who are already looking for you, but the fact is, if the New York Times is trying to get in touch with you, you've already made it.

(Side note: You're on Google+ and LinkedIn but not Twitter? That may explain why you're having an underwhelming social media experience.)

(Side side note: But you are correct that Wordpress is boss.)

Curious Author

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »

Website is a necessity, but social media is where people are going to engage with you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: