QueryTracker Community
July 22, 2018, 05:28:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longest wait on a full that got a positive response?  (Read 1019 times)
moongirl

« on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

Hi QT! I started querying in May, and have sent 45 queries total. From those 45, I got 11 requests, and from those 11 requests... 8 have become rejections/vague R&R's (where the agent wanted me to revise and resend someday but didn't tell me what they WANTED me to revise lol) sad. As of now, after some personal revisions, I still have 3 fulls out, and 2 of those 3 are with my absolute dream agents. Like, never-in-a-million years did I think they'd ask for the full. I got these requests later in the game, after the bulk of those full rejects, so they were super invigorating at the time. But as of now, they've been out for 13 weeks and almost 8 weeks respectively. I know the latter one isn't a long time, but the 13 weeks has me worried. I'm afraid it's going to be a slow no, and I was wondering if anyone ever got an offer, or a very detailed, hopeful R&R, or something after that much time? After 8 full rejections, I thought I'd seen it all, but getting rejections from these dream agents makes me more anxious than getting rejected by everyone else all over again. I always see stories about good news coming in after a few days up to 6 weeks, but never about books that got offers after being out for longer. So sorry for the nervous ramble-- I just feel like I need to talk about it at this point to keep sane  Cry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:53:27 PM by moongirl » Logged
skribbler

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »

Congrats, Moongirl, on much better luck than many are having.

And yes, positive responses come after more than 13 weeks with a full.  The agent who finally took my book requested a full on Dec 7, saying it was the perfect time for her, because she could read over the vacation. I hadn't heard back from her in early February, and I nudged, still never heard back. Had pretty much given up but sent one little query about it again April 25, got a quick reply asking if we could talk. She's now my agent.

She's just incredibly busy, has a couple of rock star clients that take up lots of her time, and even at the best of times is very disorganized. I'm not saying that's the kind of agent you'll want, but yes, offers of representation do come after long waits.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »

My friend got a phone call, a meeting, multiple reads from other agents in the office, and a detailed R&R on a full that the agent had for 6 months.

She was just behind on reading manuscripts and when she finally got to it, she thought it needed work but was very good.

I mean, I had seven offers of rep and they were all after the 3 month mark.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Rachael846

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »

After I had one offer, I nudged another agent who'd had my first manuscript for around a year. She requested the new manuscript and offered for that, saying she was interested in the first book too (although she'd never finished reading it).
gckatz

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »

It's tempting to think there's a correlation, but there isn't. If there's a long wait, it's probably because other stuff came up and she hasn't gotten to it yet, and if she hasn't read it yet, then obviously her unresponsiveness is not based on how she feels about the book. Nudge at six months and do your best not to take it personally (easier said than done, I know).

moongirl

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »

I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who replied to this thread! Your advice calmed me down so much. I'm so sorry for taking ages to thank you all, it's just these past few weeks have been crazy, especially on the writing front. I think I need to make a new thread to explain, but my situation's changed, although not sure if it's for the better lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: