QueryTracker Community
December 18, 2017, 10:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I keep getting skipped according to QT, is that normal?  (Read 579 times)
ya_writer

« on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »

Hi all! I'm back in the query trenches for the THIRD TIME after parting ways with my first two agents. Sigh. It's been a long road. A long, long, long, long road.

Anywho, I'm obsessing about the status of my queries (I know that's bad, but you know how it is). What I'm most concerned about is the fact that several agents have skipped right over me according to QueryTracker's Data Explorer tool. Many of the full requests I've received so far were from querying via a form, rather than querying via email. My last agent and I had a problem where he wasn't receiving my emails (so he claimed), so I'm very worried that many of my email queries are going to agents' spam folders. But I'm using a normal gmail account to query — it's not like I'm using a author@authorname.com email address where I'm also sending marketing emails and potentially getting flagged as spam.

Of course, there's no way to know for sure what's going on. Is it normal to be skipped so often? I know these days agents are mostly no-response-equals-no, but for those agents who DO respond 80-90%+ of the time and yet skip you, it's very confusing.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »

you are right,there is no way to be sure of what is going on, but there are a lot of places that Automatically flag Gmail or Yahoo mail as spam, so that is a possibility.

When you write you e-mails are they generic?  IE the same subject and body over and over?  this is generally what flags an e-mail server to tag you as spam.   AS well there are things that might be outside of your control that are contributing, like someone using the Gmail server you send from to spam advertisements, etc.  I would suggest possibly getting another e-mail account (free accounts are A DIME A DOZEN) AND TRY querying from there to see if anything changes or is any different.

it could also be that your query just isn't really hooking the agents attention enough for an immediate reply.  Either way I'd try a different e-mail service first (if you have an account with your own internet provider try that as it will be more likely to NOT be blocked for spam)

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
ya_writer

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

you are right,there is no way to be sure of what is going on, but there are a lot of places that Automatically flag Gmail or Yahoo mail as spam, so that is a possibility.

When you write you e-mails are they generic?  IE the same subject and body over and over?  this is generally what flags an e-mail server to tag you as spam.   AS well there are things that might be outside of your control that are contributing, like someone using the Gmail server you send from to spam advertisements, etc.  I would suggest possibly getting another e-mail account (free accounts are A DIME A DOZEN) AND TRY querying from there to see if anything changes or is any different.

it could also be that your query just isn't really hooking the agents attention enough for an immediate reply.  Either way I'd try a different e-mail service first (if you have an account with your own internet provider try that as it will be more likely to NOT be blocked for spam)

Thanks for the fast reply! I don't think the problem is with the query itself — I do have 7 fulls out, it's just that most of them were from a webform query. I don't generally send mass emails, no, so they wouldn't be generic. Of course, every query I emailed did start with "Query: BOOK TITLE" because that's what you're supposed to do.

OK, I can try setting up a new email address and see what happens. But... should I send all new queries? Or try to re-send to a few of the non-responding agents? I didn't want to make this batch of queries any bigger, as I've already gone through much of my list. Gah.
J. Paul Barnett

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »

I sent out 24 queries, and I've seen the same thing on a few agents where people report getting responses before me (but queried after me). A lot of the times, I was able to track it back to a specific event (writing conference, twitter thing), which makes me feel a little better. I can see how they might prioritize such queries.

I've chosen to just remain calm about it. The agency websites generally say how long to wait for a response, and I'm just waiting on that. Who knows why they might skip over mine, but jumping to the conclusion that my email is suddenly being blacklisted when I've used it for years seems a bit paranoid.

Then again, I'm totally new at this. It's my first novel. I've gotten 4 rejections and no full requests. It's only been two weeks, though, so I *think* there's no need to panic yet (but please do tell me if I'm wrong about that!).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:56:43 AM by J. Paul Barnett » Logged
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »

I wouldn't resend to the agents you have already sent to.  unfortunately if they did in fact get your wuery and you send another you can hurt your chances with them in the future.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
ya_writer

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »

I've chosen to just remain calm about it. The agency websites generally say how long to wait for a response, and I'm just waiting on that. Who knows why they might skip over mine, but jumping to the conclusion that my email is suddenly being blacklisted when I've used it for years seems a bit paranoid.

Ha, yeah. The reason I jumped to this conclusion was because my last agent specifically had problems receiving my emails (I was a bit skeptical that it was just an excuse at the time because I'd never heard of gmail having issues like that before... but this situation made me be like OMG maybe there really is a problem).

Good luck to you!! Hope you start getting some full requests soon.  Smiley
gushags16

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »

I don't think it can hurt to change email addresses as Falthor suggested, but I wouldn't then re-submit to agents who haven't yet responded UNTIL they pass whatever timeframe in which they typically respond or say they respond.

Another possibility, especially since you've received requests for seven fulls, is that you've gone into the "Let's think about this more deeply" pile for a number of these agents.

Good luck! I know it can be frustrating. I'm right there with you on some of them.
ya_writer

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »

The plot thickens... I just got an auto-reply ("Your submission has been received and will be carefully read and considered.") 9 days after that query was emailed.

Yeahhhhh I think I'll go ahead and create that new email address.
Seilann

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »

I joined the forum specifically for this problem. Multiple agents on my list have failed to respond, including one of my dream agents. I queried her 8 weeks ago. 4 weeks later I saw on her website that she replies within 3 weeks and to try again if she hasn't responded. Still nothing. I have a gmail account with my real name as the address. 
floridagal007

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Seilann, I hate to ask the obvious but...did you follow all submission guidelines? Stating title, genre, word count, etc? Is your word count within range for your genre?

Sometimes assistants/admins may auto-delete or not reply if the query was way out of word length guidelines, etc.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »

I mean, November and December slow waaaaaay down when it comes to querying because of the holidays.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Seilann

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »

Seilann, I hate to ask the obvious but...did you follow all submission guidelines? Stating title, genre, word count, etc? Is your word count within range for your genre?

Sometimes assistants/admins may auto-delete or not reply if the query was way out of word length guidelines, etc.

That’s okay. Smiley Yes, as she was one of my dream agents I spent a whole day crafting the letter and making sure it fit the guidelines. She’s not the only one who has skipped me, either. I started querying back in October and three agents have moved way down the list according to QT. If my email is the problem, I’m worried because I’ve already sent the follow-up to Dream Agent from the same address, and I really don’t want to Spam her inbox by mistake.
deutschlandchick

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »

Happens to me all the time too...I have a couple of theories...lol

1. Agent looks for specific genre at this point (for the day, week, month) erases everything that doesn't fit daily or weekly want;
2. Maybe you ended up in the 'maybe' pile.
3. Maybe your e-mail ended up in the spam.
4. Maybe you were scrolled over because agent/assistant is sleepy or in a bad mood (that's the one that really would suck)
5. Maybe they wanted to look at your stuff at a later point (kinda like maybe pile, but forgot)

I hate when that happens because it gets my hopes up...Good luck!!! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: