QueryTracker Community
July 17, 2018, 09:57:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to keep track of which query went to which agents?  (Read 5960 times)
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:21 AM »

I have sent out some submissions to agents, using the same query.

Now thinking of using two other versions of the query for the same manuscript.

So lets call them QA, QB, and QC.

What is the best way to keep track of which agents got which query?

I thought it might be simply to paste the query into the NOTES option.
This would mean backtracking and pasting QA (full text of it, or opening sentences of it) in for the agents who were already sent that one. Didn't realize at first that I'd be sending out alternative versions of the query down the road. Now I need a way to distinguish them in my submission records.

Guess I could still use the NOTES option for additional comments to myself on each agent below the query paste-in.
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

Hi Munley,
There are a couple different ways. If you go to an agent's profile page you'll see a tab called "Letter". This is where you can paste in the actual query letter you sent.

Although that's exactly what it was made for, it isn't great because you have to look at that tab every time you want to see which query was sent, and there is no way to compare results between queries except by hand. Plus, it's just a pain to have to paste it in every time.

Better is to create a separate project for each query letter version. Then log your queries in the appropriate project. Then you know right away which is which, and you can use some of the reporting tools that compare results per project.

If you haven't used projects before, here's a video about it: https://vimeo.com/211115487
Munley

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »

Never thought of creating separate projects for the same manuscript with different queries.

Sounds like that might be a good way to track them.

I'll probably just tack on a --B, and --C to the current name.

Thanks!
Munley

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »

I have created 3 separate projects for 3 different queries written for the same manuscript, SEA GLASS.

Since I no longer use Sea Glass-Q-Version 1, but still have agents listed in the SG-QV-1 project whom I've never sent a query to,is there some practical way to move their names over to "My query List" for either SG-QV-2 or SG-QV-3?

All I can think of doing is jotting the un-sent-to names from the QV-1 list on a piece of paper,
removing those names from the original QV-1 list by unchecking the box by each agent's name on "My query list",
and then, after opening the project I want to add them all to now,
look up each agent one-by-one, using the search feature,
open each agent's page, one by one, and click the box that says "Add this agent to my query list."

So this is 5 steps to carry out for each agent.

Is there any way to simply transfer an agent's name from the defunct QV-1 list in a single electronic move?

ETA:
I'm now thinking of reverting to having a single project (not 3) for the manuscript SEA GLASS that shows an "Agent List" that includes everyone I have queried or planned to query.  My QV-1 list is the longest, since that's where I began compiling potential agents to query.

I could use the Notes feature to write QV-1, QV-2, QV-3, etc. True, I'd have to read each note, but they'd all be on the same list page.

By not having a single Query List for SEA GLASS, I cannot rule out at a glance (as i could with a single list) who I've already queried or who has requested/rejected my manuscript (regardless of which query version I sent that agent).
    Since  I may may want to submit to more than one agent at the same agency, I have to be sure I'm not not sending to someone in an agency before the query I've already sent to another agent there is resolved. I'd also want to be sure I'm not sending a query to an agent I've already queried.
    With 3 different projects for the same manuscript (because of 3 different query styles), it gets a bit mind boggling to open and close each project to see who is listed for each query style, whether I submitted to a particular agent, and what the result was.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:33:50 PM by Munley » Logged
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »

Hi Munley,

I see how that can be painful. Coming up with another approach could be a lot of work. I'll give it some thought and am open to any suggestions.

In the meantime, you can move agents from one project to another. To do so, go to your query list page. In the next to last column of the agent list is a grey arrow icon. Click that to move that agent to a different project.

Also, there is an easy way to see if an agent is in the query list for another project, and if you've queried her yet or not. On the agent's profile page, in the right-hand column, is a section labeled "Other Projects". This will list out all the other projects you have, with icons representing if the agent is in the query list or has been queried for any of those projects.

Munley

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »

I moved the agents from the 2 shorter lists  (all of whom I've actually queried) to the original, much longer list, which is a mix of agents I've queried and have thought of querying. Once they were all on the same list I was able to type an an abbreviated query-type notation by clicking on the NOTES option without opening the agents' individual pages.

It really was an advantage to have the queries as separate projects to determine the effective of each query, but the single list is giving me other info I want at a glance. So it's a trade off. I don't know that it's worth your time to come up with some other approach. We each need to pick an option that works best for what we most want to know.

Thanks for your help with this.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:44:26 AM by Munley » Logged
slightlysmall

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

what about using the Folder for denoting which query went out? Right now I'm using the folder for what agents require (how many pages, if it needs a synopsis, etc.), but you could easily make a folder for each query, color code it, and see at a glance how your queries are faring.

Munley

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

what about using the Folder for denoting which query went out? Right now I'm using the folder for what agents require (how many pages, if it needs a synopsis, etc.), but you could easily make a folder for each query, color code it, and see at a glance how your queries are faring.

I wasn't familiar with color-coding folders. I'll look into that. Thanks!
Munley

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Tried out the folders, as you suggested. It's a really good idea. I chose the "plume" icon for any folders related to queries, and chose a different color plume for the different queries. For example, a red plume for Q-1 with the genre and word count at the end (same story description), and a green plume for Q-1 with the word count at the beginning. Called the folders Q-genre last, and Q-genre first. Those were the first two batches of queries I sent.

There are other cases where I substantially changed the whole query, so I named the folder with some other key word and picked different plume colours.

As you pointed, I can look at the whole query list at once and see the contrasting folder icons. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: